PDA

View Full Version : Outside car covers- do they work?

Chris197F1
02-01-2015, 21:19
Hello again! Thinking of getting a Williams again after realising I never should have sold my previous one lol. The reason I sold it was lack of storage as I was losing my garage with the house sale so what I want to know is do car covers actually stop the arches etc from rusting?

Will have around £2500 to buy a Williams if anyone is selling.

Chris

PhilW
02-01-2015, 22:41
Hi Chris,
I'm no corrosion expert but after having looked into this subject and being in the middle of a complete strip down/rebuild I may have some knowledge that is of interest to you.
if you search this site you will see threads about garage v outdoor storage - the main enemy of metal is condensation that gets trapped in body sections and takes a long time to dry out. A damp poorly ventilated garage is a worse storage area than a car stored outside under a breathable puropse manufactured cover. Cars stored outside benefit from air circulation which helps dry out areas of moisture on a car.
The very best thing that you can do is either buy a car with zero corrosion (this may be a challenge) or properly repair an existing car (by cutting out all corroded areas) and the corrosion protecting the box sections/ inner arches etc.
I am pretty much down to the shell now and looking into the box sections there is zero corrosion protection, if these areas are protected properly before corrosion sets in and drain holes kept clear, there is no reason why these areas will rust again.
Also, dont use your car on salty winter roads, this is a time when real damage occurs.
Again, I domt claim to be an expert and somebody may shoot me down here.......I hope not,
good luck in yor search ;-)

Crossers
03-01-2015, 02:16
Chris, I knew you would regret selling the Williams, but you can only learn from your own mistakes!

I'm in the process of restoring #360, he's been just painted (only a rub down and blow over due to the missing lacquer, there's no rust thankfully!). I have no garage so he'll be kept outside.

My body shop chap told me not to bother with a cover, just keep it polished and never drive the Williams in the wet; that way the water never makes its way into the sills and under the arches. He thinks a cover can do more harm than good, but it was UV that damaged #360's plastic and paint in the past, it can be just as harmful as water. I am acutely aware however, that we get very little in the way of sunshine in Manchester....UV is probably not going to be an issue!!

With that in mind, I've bought a Stormforce cover that I'm going to give a whirl to see if it traps moisture.

Get searching for a Williams 1 and keep him outside :winkey:

Paul

Chris197F1
03-01-2015, 10:28
First of all thank you for the detailed responses lads, couldn't have asked for better replies!

Phil - Thanks for the info, I wouldnt be using it on the salty roads, it would probably only be taxed for 6 months of the year anyway, I have a Fiesta tdci as a daily. I cant see me buying a Willy with zero corrosion as theres no way my budget would stretch that far, zero corrosion usually means 4-5k

Paul - Ha ha yes many people said I would regret selling it but truth be told I panicked when at the thought of storing it outside as its something I said I would never do, we live and learn :)
Interesting point about not needing a cover at all and I do see how a good level of wax and sealant protection could protect the car from the rain. I also will be buying a stormforce cover if i manage to track down a decent Williams, Im trying to rise my budget to around £3k but need to find some stuff to sell lol

Thanks again!

fab
03-01-2015, 19:00
One of these might be of use to someone:
http://www.dancovershop.com/uk/product/portable-garages-6.1/portable-garage-pro-24x36x24-m.aspx

04-01-2015, 00:34
Hi Chris.... what about renting a lock up garage near your location. I rent a council one a couple of roads over and it costs me £40 a month...and its completely dry.

If that is not an option invest in a good quality breathable outdoor cover made by somebody like Covercraft..... I would use a cover just to stop all the bird shit etc.

Crossers
04-01-2015, 00:54
Ironic really, talking of bird shit and car covers....

I was busy today changing some dash and gauge bulbs on #360, the rain had stopped and temp dropped. Having not had the engine running properly for a few weeks (and to keep myself warm) I turned the engine on while I battled with the dash's brittle plastic.

Anyway, after about an hour of fun, I turned off and locked up...only to find a bird shit on the bonnet (that wasn't there when I got in the car). Due to the engine being run for that time, the bird shit was baked on the bonnet and has marked the fresh paintwork :headbutt:

Needless to say that tomorrow I'm going to wash the car, attempt to buff out the mark and cover him up!

Chris197F1
04-01-2015, 12:25
Yeah I would always opt for a car cover to protect it's paint from those lovely birds lol

katbloke
04-01-2015, 19:54
I will be investing in one when mine comes back purely to help during the rebuild and afterwards keeping bird sh*t off

DSilvaSport
05-01-2015, 21:34
I have a stormforce/monsoon cover that I use on a Williams outside - be aware that even though it is 'tailored' - they are a very tight fit on this car and doesn't reach the ground to fully cover the wheels!

DSilvaSport
12-01-2015, 22:17
Having said that I have one on an E36 Compact Cup car and it is a perfect fit and I'm very impressed.