PDA

View Full Version : Newbie seeking advice before buying

Oliver Dufresne
25-11-2014, 17:07
Hi all,

I posted a couple of weeks back, but didn't get much joy, but I didn't realise newbie's are supposed to post here.

Thanks to Vandella, who gave me some good information.

To re-iterate, I am looking at a Williams as a daily, for fun , but fun while driving, I am not one to especially go out for a drive although it does depend on the car.
So it will do general duties, driving the kids about, shopping and so on.
Me and my 2 boys like a characterful car, but my wife wants something easy to drive.

I am aware that there are cheaper cars to run, but wanted some more feedback from those who run the williams as a daily.
I am probably looking at a 2 as the max budget would be £3500.

Many thanks

Oli- Leeds

ianbirch
25-11-2014, 18:53
Hi Oliver...welcome on board, can't really help you with your main question as I've never used a Williams as a daily driver... it does have heavy steering and a heavy clutch though.

Having said that I did run a Clio 16V as a daily back in the day and loved that....:)

Cheers Ian

theweekendhaslanded
25-11-2014, 22:22
Hi Oli.

i have run my W3 as a daily on and off since 2011. I have not taken it all the way through winter though. As your probably aware, these cars suffer from rust. When there's been salt on the roads mine has been parked up and not moved. It's been reliable and never once let me down. Infact no Mk1 clio has ever really let me down, all 6 of them. I've always taken good care of them. i wouldn't think twice of doing a long journey in the car. The only thing i miss from my other cars is cruise control. Weirdly I suffer from achy feet/ankles when driving it hard and find holding the accelerator on motorways uncomfortable. I transport the kids aged 3 and 4, they love it. (Daddy's noisy blue car) they prefer it to my 535d! Although they do get giddy in the Beemer went its floored!!! The Mrs wouldn't drive it as the clutch is heavy, she had a stint in a 16v a few years ago but is now spoilt with a lightweight modern small hatch. The best news is....... The williams will ALWAYS put a smile on your face. Get one bought!!

Oliver Dufresne
28-11-2014, 16:51
Hi Oli.

i have run my W3 as a daily on and off since 2011. I have not taken it all the way through winter though. As your probably aware, these cars suffer from rust. When there's been salt on the roads mine has been parked up and not moved. It's been reliable and never once let me down. Infact no Mk1 clio has ever really let me down, all 6 of them. I've always taken good care of them. i wouldn't think twice of doing a long journey in the car. The only thing i miss from my other cars is cruise control. Weirdly I suffer from achy feet/ankles when driving it hard and find holding the accelerator on motorways uncomfortable. I transport the kids aged 3 and 4, they love it. (Daddy's noisy blue car) they prefer it to my 535d! Although they do get giddy in the Beemer went its floored!!! The Mrs wouldn't drive it as the clutch is heavy, she had a stint in a 16v a few years ago but is now spoilt with a lightweight modern small hatch. The best news is....... The williams will ALWAYS put a smile on your face. Get one bought!!
Thanks guys, very helpful input. I saw a williams 2 yesterday, and had a little drive. I was pleasantly surprised, the clutch and steering were much lighter than I expected, it drove like a normal hatchback but with bags of torque and real zip about it. There is a proper sense of occasion to it, both outside but particularly inside, very comfy, unlike the harshness of some hot hatches. Couple of further questions . The clutch rode very high, I mean the bite point, also there seemed to be quite a bit of scraping at low speeds , must be wheels on arches or somthing. Steering was noisy at low speeds too. There was also major on the underside of the sills , the ridges that run front to back.all these added up I think would be quite expensive. The buying guide on here is spot on. So thanks again.

Vandella
28-11-2014, 17:55
the biting point can be a few things.. either the cable has stretched as they are routed stupidly on these cars, the clutch is on its way or the self adjustment on the pedal has given up.. best to check the pedal first.. see where the teeth are connecting as such.. worst case being the clutch itself as this is an expensive bit to change if you're not doing it yourself..
the noisy steering will be the power steering pump.. they do get noisy and whir a little.. there are two types of steering on these cars, proper power steering being on the 2 I think and then the 3's and then old school mechanical power steering found on the 1
the scraping your hearing could well be the suspension or even the exhaust but I don't think anyone would lower it so much that it rubs.. you can get a fair bit of low with these before they start rubbing.. presuming the right wheels and size tyres are on.. unless you can give a bit more of a precise location from where u thought the scraping may be coming from.. front, back, side?
a lot of the sills on these cars get bent as some people jack them up from there, causing them to bend..

We're all here to help and guide people on here as we're liked minded fellows, who enjoy this joyus little French automobile.

'ooh Nicole, let me hit you with my va va voom'