PDA

View Full Version : Idle problem

waynos83
10-11-2014, 22:53
Hi All,

I have had a problem with my car kangarooing. Initially, the problem only occurred whilst the car was idle (at lights or something) but has recently got worse and is doing it all the time. It seems to be temperature related as it's ok for a few mins until warmed up, then gets more and more frequent.
I have trawled the forums for help and have a very long list to get through, but I thought I would try posting a vid first to see if anyone can associate with a similar problem.
ps. The car almost cuts out but then revs on its own.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Wayne 👍

http://youtu.be/jrepH0SM3c0

16v_paddy
10-11-2014, 23:51
Video is private so doesn't work.

It'll be 1 of the common things that causes running & idle problems, they're plastered all over the forums so it's a bit of a mystery how you missed them :lol:

Coolant temperature sensor on the thermostat housing, the 1 that points towards the passenger side wheel or the lambda sensor. Try a new coolant sensor 1st as it's the cheapest. Is usually 1 or the other and in some cases both that are at fault

waynos83
11-11-2014, 07:27
Video is private so doesn't work.

It'll be 1 of the common things that causes running & idle problems, they're plastered all over the forums so it's a bit of a mystery how you missed them :lol:

Coolant temperature sensor on the thermostat housing, the 1 that points towards the passenger side wheel or the lambda sensor. Try a new coolant sensor 1st as it's the cheapest. Is usually 1 or the other and in some cases both that are at fault

Thanks 16v Paddy. I have found loads on the forum but just wondered if I could narrow the tick list down a bit. Your reply is very helpful thanks. I will start with coolant sensor and go from there. Cheers ;-)

16v_paddy
11-11-2014, 22:19
Video works now, mine did exactly the same, changed the coolant sensor 1st & it improved quite a bit but not fully fixed, then fitted a new lambda & that sorted it completely :winkey:

waynos83
11-11-2014, 23:37
Video works now, mine did exactly the same, changed the coolant sensor 1st & it improved quite a bit but not fully fixed, then fitted a new lambda & that sorted it completely :winkey:

Hi, I changed the settings on YouTube so the video would work.
Lets hope mine goes the same way as yours. I've orderd the coolant sensor today. Will take it from there.

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated!

cheers 👍

waynos83
04-12-2014, 21:30

Hi Mate, just wanted to let you know that I have fixed the problem thanks to your help!👍
i changed the CTS and nothing happened, but then changed the lambda sensor and the problem has gone completely.
many thanks for your help
cheers
Wayne

16v_paddy
04-12-2014, 23:04
Good stuff