PDA

View Full Version : track rod end

Danno
03-11-2014, 11:35
Anybody got any tips to remove the rod end? I cant stop the arm turning when im trying to unscrew it, im on with this right now, and its really starting to piss me right off!

northy
03-11-2014, 11:51
there are flats on the steering arm to hold onto with a spanner.

Danno
03-11-2014, 14:41
Yeah I'm on them, but can't budge it at all. To double check - it is anti clockwise to undo correct?

Wobba
05-11-2014, 14:37
These seize and are annoying. You've undone the locking nut, right? Lock the inner rod with a 16mm and then try screwing it further in the break the rust/dirt, and anticlockwise to take it off.

I heard heat helps but I usually do the entire inner and outer rod and I mess with mine so often it never seizes.

northy
05-11-2014, 14:47
Some are a nightmare to remove.

at the end of the steering arm there is a pressed on cap which the trackrod screws into. Its this that grips onto the trackrod Ive found. The one i had bent the actual trackrod Im sure it was glued. But if you can knock off that cap or even open it up a bit to loosen its grip you should manage ok.

Danno
05-11-2014, 17:20
I've given up with the end itself and now I'm going to change the whole arm. I have to now anyway as I bent it slightly trying to get the rod end off. Tried heat but to no avail, tried cracking it clockwise but again nothing. Just waiting on a wobba special - the sealey removal tool! and can crack on.

Cheers

16v_paddy
05-11-2014, 22:27
Last 1 I did I ended up using a grinder to split the track rod end open, but that was a superior valver item, not the crappy male type tre you willy boys are stuck with :lol: