PDA

View Full Version : Hello and plea for advice from a new owner!

st3f
02-11-2014, 17:45
Hi, proud new owner here of a Williams 2! Already found a wealth of good info on these forums, but thought I'd say hi... and ask for some advice too!

The most pressing thing is that the clutch cable unhelpfully snapped last night. Are the pagid ones worthy replacements or is it best to stick with reno?

Couple of plastic issues... Like some broken trim around the scuttle box (if that's the name for where the ECU is) - not sure if that's fixable. And a missing plastic hook from the inside of the boot lid, for clipping the parcel-shelf string supports to - any ideas where to get one from? The spark plug cover fell off too, though I think it's just missing a screw and washer. But the yellow lettering is part gone: is there an easy way to touch this up?

I've also found the brakes not to be brilliant. Is that normal? Any advice on the best solution without OTT mods?

Oh, and being just over 6'1", I'm finding the seat doesn't quite go far back enough, or the pedals are too far forward? Is this just a quirk one has to live with or is there a clever solution?!!

Any pointers much appreciated! Including recommendations for a good garage/mechanic in london or herts!

Cheers, and look forward to hearing from you guys!!

Stef

ianbirch
02-11-2014, 21:32
Welcome on board... if you become a member you will have access all areas, which is useful... £7 I think.

From what I've read the Pagid is fine.

Should be able to get what you want from Mat Brown on here... which remindes me I sent you a pm ages ago Mat.

Spark plug covers are still available from Renault... 40 plus quid, or you can sometimes get the stickers separately on here or on ebay, think Mat Brown used to do them.

Yep brakes can be a bit rubbish by todays standards... 4 pot conversions seem popular, they come up for sale now and again.

I'm surprised about the seating position as I am nearly as tall as you and have my seat about mid way.

What town are you in? How about some pics:)

Cheers Ian

theweekendhaslanded
02-11-2014, 21:35
Hi pal. Well done on your purchase.

Any parts you require, it's worth contacting Matt Brown - he's responsible for the decline in the mk1 clio!! Breaks them but a great source for bits. You can approach Renault. They still have mk1 bits but there's a lot of parts that have discontinued. Peeps on here recommend the genuine clutch cable. I have a none gen cable that's been fine for the last 4 years. They do snap!!

The yellow F16i on rocker is available on mk1 forums as a sticker. Sure someone can point you in the right direction. The cover is held on with 2 plastic spade/screw, I'm sure there available through Reno.

My brakes are poor as I have the cheapest disc and pads at the mo. Good Set to have is brembo max front disc with ferodo ds2500 pads and fluid change.

st3f
04-11-2014, 00:32
Thanks for the replies! Here's the car.. sorry, not a great pic; taken at a motorway service station on the way down from Darlington!! Will get a better one soon.

I'm based in North London area. Car's in a garage in Hatfield at the mo, who are replacing the clutch cable with a pagid. Will see how that goes. One of the front tyres needs replacing, and they said the back 2 are on their way out too, so looking at biting the bullet and getting a new set. After a quick glance, seems the Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 and the Vredstein Sportrac 3 are both highly thought of. Any comments?

Will get onto Matt for other bits and bobs. Think brakes will have to wait for a while though!

Ian, I find with my seat all the way back my knees are uncomfortably high... Maybe ought to double-check the seat is moving back to where it should..?

The RAC breakdown chap who came to my rescue recommended a guy called Steve Smith in Wood Green, a mechanic into these type of cars and had a Williams himself. Don't suppose anyone knows of him?

MG1980
04-11-2014, 01:08
Your seating definitely doesn't sound right. I'm 6' 2" and don't feel too cramped! Can defo suggest the PE2s... Pricey from memory, but do what you need in all weather!!

Dean250
04-11-2014, 23:15
Welcome! Car looks very well in the pictures there mate, I am quite local to that area (Darlington) but never seen the vehicle around before.

I've read before but can't confirm from my own experiences that the renault cables tend to last a little longer, I know from a friend with a renault 5 that he will only fit original cables.

I have continental and toyo sports on my 2 williams, I would say the toyos are an excellent tyre both in terms of performance and price, they are also available in the correct 185 width.

st3f
05-11-2014, 00:01
Well bitten the bullet and car is booked in to be reshod with PE2's tomorrow at wheels-in-motion in Hemel Hempstead...

Dean, it was only the dealer who was based in Darlington. He got it from someone else, I think somewhere in the north, and prior to that it was in Sheffield. Dealer is hidden away on some industrial estate near an airport, or you might have seen me hairing around in it for a test-drive, spinning it on a roundabout (blame some diesel on the road and nearly-bald tyres, rather than driver-error of course ;) )!!

st3f
05-11-2014, 13:59
Has anyone here used JP Polishing for refurbing the wheels? Seen him mentioned on cliosport.

Wobba
05-11-2014, 14:29
Welcome! The brakes should be fine if maintained properly. It may be they just need bleeding or some TLC with the pads. A decent upgrade are some Mintex 1144's, which are fast road ones and don't give out tons of dust. Rear brake bias valves can seize up and lock the rear brakes under hard deceleration. Not sure if that's relevant though.

northy
05-11-2014, 14:52
St3f - a bit of reading for you here

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?42635-M802SBL-Detailing-world

st3f
05-11-2014, 19:03
Cheers northy!! That's great!! I was trying to piece the car's history together; knew about the showroom bit but nothing more. It has had about 29k added in the last 2 years from 2 owners, but plenty of service history to go with it. Sitting with 66k on the clock atm. Just need to make it look as clean again... :)

northy
06-11-2014, 10:05
does look a nice car

PhilW
06-11-2014, 23:50
Thanks for the replies! Here's the car.. sorry, not a great pic; taken at a motorway service station on the way down from Darlington!! Will get a better one soon.

I'm based in North London area. Car's in a garage in Hatfield at the mo, who are replacing the clutch cable with a pagid. Will see how that goes. One of the front tyres needs replacing, and they said the back 2 are on their way out too, so looking at biting the bullet and getting a new set. After a quick glance, seems the Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 and the Vredstein Sportrac 3 are both highly thought of. Any comments?

Will get onto Matt for other bits and bobs. Think brakes will have to wait for a while though!

Ian, I find with my seat all the way back my knees are uncomfortably high... Maybe ought to double-check the seat is moving back to where it should..?

The RAC breakdown chap who came to my rescue recommended a guy called Steve Smith in Wood Green, a mechanic into these type of cars and had a Williams himself. Don't suppose anyone knows of him?

Hey Stef, with you on the seat runners mate.
I'm 6'3" tall and my height must be in the legs as my driving position is not the best, with legs splayed either side of the wheel.
Its on the "to do" list, see if I can get longer runners in the car, however its a long to do list.......

st3f
07-11-2014, 14:02
Hey Stef, with you on the seat runners mate.
I'm 6'3" tall and my height must be in the legs as my driving position is not the best, with legs splayed either side of the wheel.
Its on the "to do" list, see if I can get longer runners in the car, however its a long to do list.......

Yeah, reckon my legs are longish too, as my knees are slightly too high. Let me know if you find anything!!

On the question of wheel refurbs, I'm slightly ignorant. Is the silver rim of the car supposed to be diamond cut or whatever, or can it be refurbished normally? Can one get just the central gold section done without touching the silver rim, or vice-versa?

ianbirch
07-11-2014, 18:34
Yes diamond cut after painting is the way to go... I had a set done once where the paint was polished off, looked absolutely rank...ruins the shape of the lip.

I believe Pristine use the diamond cut method and they seem very popular on here... other than that, as you mentioned Hemel Hempstead, BJ Vallack is in Flaunden
and also do diamond cutting... but I have not used them for a long time so don't know what they are like now. They won't have done as many sets as Pristine.

But there is a couple of options for you... I think Pristine are near Woburn?

Cheers Ian