PDA

View Full Version : Smelly sound deadening material

bauderline
22-10-2014, 23:16
Folks,

I assume the smelly moisture retentive foam underneath the carpet is sound deadening material. I have removed most of it apart from the section that sits underneath the front footwells, this appears to go up behind the dash and I will need to remove the dash to get it out, is that correct ?

I am considering cutting the remainder of it out that I can get to for the moment as I don't think it will ever smell much better even if I dry it out. I'll just source new material when I am putting the car back together, has anyone else done this ?

Thanks. Peter.

katbloke
23-10-2014, 18:28
Yes theres a bit under the dash right up to the screen and it also goes behind the heater assembly

bauderline
23-10-2014, 20:01
I guess the dash is gonna have to come out eventually as I want to remove every trace of that smelly crud !! oh joy !!

Thanks for the info though ! Appreciate it !

P.

katbloke
23-10-2014, 20:15
I'm after a replacement or an alternative while my dash is out

bauderline
23-10-2014, 21:01
Dynamat ?

katbloke
23-10-2014, 21:02
Maybe but needs to be heat resistant maybe

bauderline
23-10-2014, 21:09
I think I read dynamat is good to 107 degrees or something nutty like that, the specs are on their site.... they have a few different products that look interesting... My car sat for four years, it was in a shed but our weather is humid so damp does tend to set in to stuff like this.