PDA

View Full Version : non starting Williams

steveymccombe
17-10-2014, 22:22
Hi guys, I have a '95 Williams 3, when I parked her everything was grand. Went to start her again and nothing!! There is a toad alarm fitted I've tried disarming it but its not working. (New battery in fob). Battery light comes on but nothing else.

16v_paddy
17-10-2014, 22:38
By nothing, do you mean not cranking or just not firing up?

steveymccombe
17-10-2014, 22:53
No cranking. No oil light or any other light that should come on a hen you switch ign on.

16v_paddy
18-10-2014, 00:05
Eurgh! Gonna be electrical then. My 1st thought would be 1 of the fuses or the ignition relay at fault

Dean250
18-10-2014, 00:07
Battery isn't flat or on it's way out? sounds like it doesn't have the power

steveymccombe
18-10-2014, 22:25
New battery in fob, good battery in car. Was in a car and I borrowed it. Where would I get a wiring diagram or where would the ignition relay be?

Tullyvernon
18-10-2014, 22:52
When you turn on the ignition does the red light on top of the steering column light up?

16v_paddy
19-10-2014, 00:52
New battery in fob, good battery in car. Was in a car and I borrowed it. Where would I get a wiring diagram or where would the ignition relay be?

Inside the engine bay, passenger side, just in front of the strut tower is a black box, a load of relays live in there, unfortunately I can never bloody remember which is which but the main starter relay & the fuel pump relay are deffo in there

steveymccombe
19-10-2014, 13:55
Thanks. I see 3 "brown" relays in there. As long as I know I'm in the right area I'll see how I get on. Where would you get a wiring diagram or does such a thing exist? Lol

Tullyvernon
19-10-2014, 14:41
Would the relay stop the dash lights tho?

walters300
19-10-2014, 18:19
Check all leads are connected to the live terminal, I had the same problem once and there was one lead which had fallen down near the gearbox, have a look. If not you need to check the fuses or relays, then after that you may still have problems which the list below should solve.
1. listen for fuel pump.
2. Change crank sensor or clean.
3. Turn over and if it doesn't start check the plugs to see if there wet.
4. If there dry YouTube how to clean injectors.
5.If there wet Turn car over with one plug on rocker cover to see if there's a spark.
6. If no spark check ignition coil.
7. Swop in another Ecu to try that
8. Try a brand new coil.
9.Check that the toad alarm switch by the glovebox and the transponder near the sunroof

16v_paddy
19-10-2014, 21:30
Thanks. I see 3 "brown" relays in there. As long as I know I'm in the right area I'll see how I get on. Where would you get a wiring diagram or does such a thing exist? Lol

There's more than 3 in there, tucked in behind those 3 are some more, they're screwed to the plastic in pairs :winkey: Don't take my word for it as I'm not 100% sure but haynes manual will probably have the wiring diagrams

Would the relay stop the dash lights tho?

The main ignition relay not working will, could also be the barrel at fault if everything is completely dead when turning the key.

I hate electrics with a passion :lol: but this is my thought process on this 1, working out the route of the electricity from turning the key

Barrel/key turned sends power to the ignition relay - power then goes to the dash, fuel pump relay, ignition coil & starter relay (obviously goes to other parts of the car that work from the ignition being on but not relevant to this problem)
The fault sounds like it's in this part of the system so that's where I'd be starting to look & rule things out

steveymccombe
20-10-2014, 18:00
Check all leads are connected to the live terminal, I had the same problem once and there was one lead which had fallen down near the gearbox, have a look. If not you need to check the fuses or relays, then after that you may still have problems which the list below should solve.
1. listen for fuel pump. Negative
2. Change crank sensor or clean. Not turning over at all.
3. Turn over and if it doesn't start check the plugs to see if there wet.
4. If there dry YouTube how to clean injectors.
5.If there wet Turn car over with one plug on rocker cover to see if there's a spark.
6. If no spark check ignition coil.
7. Swop in another Ecu to try that
8. Try a brand new coil.
9.Check that the toad alarm switch by the glovebox and the transponder near the sunroof will check for switch, had the transponder out of her before and dried it out. This cured the problem. She was turning over that time but not firing.

The alarm led on the console isn't flashing or staying on.
The alternator (battery) light comes on but no oil light or any others.

Tullyvernon
21-10-2014, 00:10
will check for switch, had the transponder out of her before and dried it out. This cured the problem. She was turning over that time but not firing.

The alarm led on the console isn't flashing or staying on.
The alternator (battery) light comes on but no oil light or any others.

Was it not the module the last time?

steveymccombe
27-10-2014, 18:24
Hi guys, got the Williams going!! Found the alarm, bypassed it, turned the key, and.... She started!! Woohoo thanks to everyone who contributed to this.

walters300
27-10-2014, 22:00
Well done... How did you disconnect the alarm?

steveymccombe
04-12-2014, 19:13
Found it behind the dash, got out my side cutters seen what wires had been cut, rejoined them and turned the key while keeping my fingers crossed!! Lol