PDA

View Full Version : FFS Oil filter removal

PhilW
12-10-2014, 20:28
First mechanical job on the Clio today before putting her in the garage for a strip down and refurb - change the oil and filter, 30 minute job, no problem :grin:.

What a complete git of a job it is to get the oil filter of a Clio Williams, couldnt believe how long it took me to get the damn thing off. I'm pretty confident that it wont be the worst job that I do on the car over the coming months, but it was a good "marker in the sand" from the car :shock:.

next job, front suspension and bumper removal, wish me luck......

Tullyvernon
12-10-2014, 21:39
I suppose when you cram a 2 litre engine in a shopping car used with 1.2's the engine bay can be quite tight.

Mine is getting some much needed tlc now shortly so will have plenty of grazed nuckles

16v_paddy
12-10-2014, 22:40
Welcome to Mk1 Clio ownership :lol: Kiss the skin on your knuckles goodbye as well :lol:

I've built up quite a collection of scars over the years & 95% of them are from Mk1 Clio related incidents

Tullyvernon
12-10-2014, 23:03
War wounds :evil:

ianbirch
13-10-2014, 18:41
First mechanical job on the Clio today before putting her in the garage for a strip down and refurb - change the oil and filter, 30 minute job, no problem :grin:.

What a complete git of a job it is to get the oil filter of a Clio Williams, couldnt believe how long it took me to get the damn thing off. I'm pretty confident that it wont be the worst job that I do on the car over the coming months, but it was a good "marker in the sand" from the car :shock:.

next job, front suspension and bumper removal, wish me luck......

After many years of doing oil and filter changes on a Williams (which always has me cursing) I have finally bought a tool to make this job easier... a long 3/8th ratchet with swivel head.

This is basically long enough to come well past the sub frame at an angle..... so with a filter cup on the end the filter can be turned fairly easily.

Regards Ian

PhilW
13-10-2014, 19:32
After many years of doing oil and filter changes on a Williams (which always has me cursing) I have finally bought a tool to make this job easier... a long 3/8th ratchet with swivel head.

This is basically long enough to come well past the sub frame at an angle..... so with a filter cup on the end the filter can be turned fairly easily.

Regards Ian

Cheers Ian,
Sounds like a good idea, if you have an image of that please post it up, I will gladly purchase one.
Do you use a cup, as opposed to a chain filter remover?
I was using a chain, dont think that it did me any favours :-x

ianbirch
13-10-2014, 23:22
No don't use a chain... a cup is better, I use double sided tape inside the cup to stop it slipping.

Here is the ratchet... it's made by US PRO and is 450mm long but any ratchet of that length with a swivel head will do.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr139/ianbirch/_12.jpg

Cheers Ian

PhilW
14-10-2014, 07:05
No don't use a chain... a cup is better, I use double sided tape inside the cup to stop it slipping.

Here is the ratchet... it's made by US PRO and is 450mm long but any ratchet of that length with a swivel head will do.

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr139/ianbirch/_12.jpg

Cheers Ian

Hi Ian,
thanks for your reply, I will get kitted up for the next oil change, should be a doddle then,
Cheers Phil

ianbirch
14-10-2014, 18:09
The job will never be a doddle but it does make it a hell of a lot easier... the trick is still locating the cup to the filter and then getting the ratchet on the cup or alternatively fit the cup to the ratchet

and then onto the filter... all whilst under a jacked up Williams with very little elbow room, oh well ho hum...:)

PhilW
31-10-2014, 16:02
Welcome to Mk1 Clio ownership :lol: Kiss the skin on your knuckles goodbye as well :lol:

I've built up quite a collection of scars over the years & 95% of them are from Mk1 Clio related incidents

Just revisited your quote Paddy, I now have a nice selection of cuts and grazes, not to mention a black fingernail (which I will probably loose) from my first 2 weeks of workingon the car. Plenty more where they came from I'm sure :neutral:

16v_paddy
31-10-2014, 21:15
1st blood has been spilled :welcome: you're officially a part of the Mk1 Clio fraternity now :lol:

PhilW
01-11-2014, 09:47
1st blood has been spilled :welcome: you're officially a part of the Mk1 Clio fraternity now :lol:

Thanks Paddy, my hands hurt just that little less after the recognition of this milestone, cheers ;-)

PC-PLOD
09-12-2014, 14:36

Oil filter pliers with a couple of 6inch extension tubes on handles litterally 5 min job to get off