PDA

View Full Version : Scrappage scheme carnage

16v_paddy
30-09-2014, 05:35
Some seriously annoying bullshit here :evil: some epic cars needlessly destroyed for the sake of a £2k discount on a new shitbox, 47,000 Hyundais ffs! 26,000 of them were the i10 City Car :evil:

Some people just don't deserve to have nice cars. Pistonheads article here http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=30915

From a quick look at the full list, these are the decent Mk1's that have gone so thankfully it's not too many

Williams x1
Williams 2 x1
Valvers x2
RSI x2

northy
30-09-2014, 09:44
you could hardly call the famous williams 2 a williams anymore by the time it went on the scrappage scheme lol

fab
30-09-2014, 17:15
Seems as if the UK is going through what Ireland went through during the so called 'celtic tiger' years..

So much greed and stupidity and the end result was a lot of lives and cars for that matter ruined.

arj256
30-09-2014, 17:33
I suppose i don't deserve to have a nice car ;-)

16v_paddy
30-09-2014, 20:53

Depends if you bought a decent car or not, but a williams aint that special of a car to chop in :winkey: read the PH link, some of the timeless classics that got chopped in makes for depressing reading.

What did you end up with?

16v_paddy
01-10-2014, 08:49
In that case I stand by my previous comment :lol:

fab
01-10-2014, 11:49
That list is the saddest thing I've ever seen related to motoring.The cloverleafs, the 75's FFS!

So the young lads going off to Uni or learning to drive are gonna be able to go get credit to buy hyundai's?

The future is bleak when you cant leave the younger generation some soul.

arj256
01-10-2014, 18:03
Depends if you bought a decent car or not, but a williams aint that special of a car to chop in :winkey: read the PH link, some of the timeless classics that got chopped in makes for depressing reading.

What did you end up with?

Ended up with a natural successor to the Williams, a Hyundai i10 Classic :lol:
Then swapped it for a Fabia vRS a little later so worked out very well for me.

It was a shame that no one wanted to buy the Williams at the time, especially with the hours put into it.
Alas looking back at what i was asking for it, I'm glad they didn't. Was worth a lot more in bits/trade in.

I see there are a lot of negative comments regarding the loss of decent motors from the scrappage scheme, but the truth of the matter is that the UK second hand car values are an odd thing indeed. When you take into consideration how much the equivalent car is worth in Mainland Europe.
So anything with running costs out of the ordinary, and no one wanting to pay anything for the cars at the time, its hardly surprising that they met the scrap yard.
If they hadn't made it via the scrappage scheme, they would have been broken for bits anyway. So regardless of the scheme or not, they still wouldn't have been on the road as a car.
Not a lot of people will put their money where their mouth is about saving a "classic/special".

fab
01-10-2014, 19:47
Not a lot of people will put their money where their mouth is about saving a "classic/special".

Its true, sometimes they are beyond economical repair or the love for them just dies or a person makes their own decision to let them go.

Wobba
05-10-2014, 12:11

I was going to say, the only W2 was Adams :D