PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using camber bolts??

Mark_Ritchspeed
02-09-2005, 09:27
After doing quite a bit of research on the adjustable camber bolts, I have decided not to use them to gain some negative camber on the front, but instead will be slotting the struts to make them adjustable.

Is anyone else using them and if so have you had any reliability issues?

I just dont think they would be strong enough for me.

northy
02-09-2005, 09:59
Ive seen them on ktecs site - and i know that stromba owns a set (not fitted)

i'd prefer adjustable top mounts myself like the group A 205 boys run...

Mark_Ritchspeed
02-09-2005, 10:06
Adjustable top mounts are the best as it would also give adjustable castor, but as it stands there arent any available for the Clio and to use them, you would have to fit coilovers with 2.25 race springs to be able to get enough adjustment without the springs hitting the turrets.

fab
02-09-2005, 10:35
Mark and myself have discussed this using PM.
Here is a link to another manufacturer that sells these bolts.
http://www.performancealloys.com/loweringkits_springs.asp

As they suggest for track use they are sufficient,and to correct a camber problem on the "cheap" which can cause pulling to the more positive camber side I think its a worthwhile purchase.

For you hard core fanatics,well only a JCB will do! :)

northy
02-09-2005, 10:37
2.25? is that good mark ?

Jason
02-09-2005, 10:54
I know for fact that there are adjustable top mounts for 106/saxo
could these be adjusted to a clio?

Can the camber bolts be used without widening the holes on the shock?

Can you adjust camber by widerining the hole where the ball joint
tightens to the wishbone :?: :idea:

Flan
02-09-2005, 13:07
I have clio 16V shocks on my williams and to correct the camber slotted the Shocks. Its amasing how much differance the camber is buy moving the bottom bolt. If i move it like 2mm it give like 1.5 degrees. It is a knightmair to set both sides the same. Personal i do not like the idea of driving it, i no they are tight but im worried they will move. I would prefer the camber bolts... or i may weld an adjuster bolt on the side, (like a motorcross bike has to tension the chain) that would be easy to set up and very strong,

fab
02-09-2005, 13:24
I have been emailing Leda just to see what they can offer regarding a suspension kit for the williams.After emailing Mark I figured I would send them an email and see what they would suggest regarding camber correction on the kit rather than using the bolts,because ultimately I will be renewing the front suspension components at some stage.

This is what they had to say:
"We don't sell a camber kit to convert this to adjustable, but we can put adjustable camber brackets on our units when they are built. Another option would be to use adjustable top mounts, but we would need a sample top mount to see if we can profile our generic ones"

Mark correct me if I'm wrong but if you purchace a coilover kit doesnt that include a different strut assembly and therefore the McPherson camber bolts would not apply?

Mark_Ritchspeed
02-09-2005, 13:47
The fixing on the bottom of the coilovers will still be the same, so in theory you could still use camber bolts.

I am currently looking at a couple of different alternatives, which also involve camber bolts, but much thicker than the K-tec ones. This is probably the routs I am currently favouring.

Slotting the struts would be much stronger than thinner (than standard) camber bolts to hold the strut on and when you look around at other makes, the amount of snapped aftermarket camber bolts is quite worrying.

The ones that seem to fail on other cars, use the exact same design as the K-tec ones. Now I am not implying that any of theres have had issues on the Clios, but I know the way I treat a car and simply couldnt trust such a thin bolt.

northy
02-09-2005, 13:56
well after seeing gaz's perform on the last trackday - im after coilovers.

And if i can get some adjustment then buzzin....mark can you have a real good luck into this for me please.

fab
02-09-2005, 13:57
A1 feedback on this topic.Thanks Mark.

2 live
02-09-2005, 14:23
well after seeing gaz's perform on the last trackday - im after coilovers.

And if i can get some adjustment then buzzin....mark can you have a real good luck into this for me please.

lol.the year of me leaving u on the twisties never registered before?? lol

northy
02-09-2005, 14:31
always said yours handled better - but u havent been on no trackdays since to compair to gaz's

Mark_Ritchspeed
02-09-2005, 21:05
The coilovers with there harder damping and lower ride height will be an advantage on track over a set-up like mine, but throw a bumpy surface into the equation and it would be different.

This is one of the reasons I havent played with the camber on mine, as I wanted outright strength and durability for rallying. Now the car will be spending more time on track I will be making suitable adjustments.

clowo16v
03-09-2005, 11:32
Doesn't anybody make ajustable bottom wishbones for the Clios? I might have a go at making some i've made plenty for Lotus 7 type kit cars, and a set of 8 for both of my hot rods. Its not that difficult really.

See ya

Matt

Mark_Ritchspeed
03-09-2005, 18:29
Not really going to gain a massive amount by making adjustable bottom arms or ball joints though. Something else I have looked at as well, but probably would only make a decent difference with adjustable camber on the strut.

The extra track would always be good though.