PDA

View Full Version : New NW member and bodywork help please

PhilW
01-09-2014, 20:07
Hi all,

I am a new member to the forum and I am in the process of buying a Clio Williams 1.
I'm aware that it needs the wheel arches replacing (which I plan to have professionally carried out), but after doing a quick internet search I found that the 2nd owner had posted on this forum when he was selling the car. One of the images that he posted clearly shows the drivers side arch before any repairs which was quite badly corroded. by the way, these arches have been "repaired" but not very well as the repair is obvious and starting to bubble through already.

I'm looking to ask any knowledgeable members the following questions;

1/ Looking at the extent of the corrosion can this be properly repaired without replacing the full quarter panel?
2/ Would anyone have any idea about the potential cost of a proper repair?
3/ Does anyone have any recommendations of a body repair and paint shop who have completed quality work on members cars?

sorry to be asking for help and then making you work for it, but I would really appreciate any advise anyone can give me,

Cheers,
Phil

Wobba
01-09-2014, 22:16
Hi! Welcome to WC :D

Ok:

1. Yes, this can be repaired without a complete rear quarter. Most bodyshops will cut out that section in a box shape, so cut from under the petrol filler cap over to the Williams badge, then straight down. They should then remove any existing rust and rebuild the area (such as the inner sill, which will also be rusted out). What some shops do is buy a repair panel for a poverty spec Clio, like a 1.4RT, and shape the metal in as they are a different design. If they do this, you need to make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR of the differences between lower spec and Williams. See the end of the arch where it meets the bumper? Lower spec ones taper out further, the Williams cuts in. If they are in doubt they need to look at the other side after they cut out the rust. They also need to see the clear difference in arch width!!! Some dumbass so-called bodyshops don't give a shit and will happily **** it up.

2. Some will charge circa £200-300. Be cautious at this price with an unknown bodyshop. They ALL say they have done Williams arches before, some are liars. they may be fine, but make sure they get rid of ALL the shit rust and treat areas that need treating BEFORE welding and painting...otherwise you'll see more rust in 2 years guaranteed.

3. http://www.st-performance.co.uk/

Heard good things about these guys. I think they have done a few members cars here?

PhilW
01-09-2014, 23:01
Hi Wobba,

Thanks for the welcome and the information, much appreciated
i have to admit after wanting a Williams Clio for some time and eventually taking the plunge, the thought of battle with corrosion has been making me feel twitchy.
seeing the image of how the car was before it was repaired got me feeling worried that it would be too expensive to repair, but your reply has made me feel better about the situation. I could do with finding a body shop a little closer to me if possible though.
Thanks again and best regards,
Phil

ianbirch
02-09-2014, 19:53
What I have noticed from my time on here is that no matter how minor the rust appears from the outside, once you get into it the problem is
much worse underneath... so just make sure you really know the full extent of the problem before you start.

Regards Ian

PhilW
02-09-2014, 20:01
Hi Ian,
Appreciate the reply.
if only it were possible to understand the full condition of the car before you buy it eh.;-)
I have had as good a look around the car as I can and she shell is solid (or appears to be), ultimately as you say, I will only find the full condition of the car as I start talking parts off. I only hope that I don't find bad news.
Wish me luck, Phil

ianbirch
02-09-2014, 20:12
Hi Ian,
Appreciate the reply.
if only it were possible to understand the full condition of the car before you buy it eh.;-)
I have had as good a look around the car as I can and she shell is solid (or appears to be), ultimately as you say, I will only find the full condition of the car as I start talking parts off. I only hope that I don't find bad news.
Wish me luck, Phil

I certainly do wish you luck... and your absolutely right, it is very tricky to know the true condition when you buy, a leap of faith is often required. I'll do a search and post some pics.

Cheers Ian

Wobba
02-09-2014, 21:02
Just remember that everything is repairable!

When I first came and joined WC, quite a few years ago now, I didn't even know how to change a wheel over. I can now do pretty much anything by myself, though taking gearboxes apart is something I'd have to read up on!

Once you understand how it all works, you'll be the same. Welding is something I will be learning shortly too!

Go have a look at some of the project threads, there is a wealth of info there and some truly inspired people renovating Clio's!

Wobba
02-09-2014, 21:04
Oh God.

I just wrote a post where I put an exclamation mark after every sentence...my English degree lecturers would be cringing about now.