PDA

View Full Version : KENT CAMS

2 live
02-09-2005, 09:17
sorry to the peeps iv recommended these to.

but DO NOT BUY KENT CAMS

the failure on mine was the same as martins old un.....same cams.same problem.

williams head now fukt......this is down to poor manufacturing/quality control/design of the cams in question. those of you to whom iv recommended these cams to..i apologise, but didnt know there was a design flaw in the cams, which kent arent interested in rectifying.

if you have these fitted......be wary

northy
02-09-2005, 09:19
great.....

so what did they say mate ??

thought it was a problem with the bolt from renault ?

Im still fitting them in mine like....will have to see how they get on.

Mark_Ritchspeed
02-09-2005, 09:21
At least you now know what the problem was and its good to let everyone else know.

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2005, 09:22
hehe excellent, can't wait

2 live
02-09-2005, 09:27
theyv said notrhing mate..wont reply to mails...get put on hold on fone

the thrust washer on the end of the cam has shattered...some staying on the cam, some breaking into bits........1 bit that has broken off has laid across the guide for the washer in the head, when the bit that hasnt broken off the cam has hit it, its gouged the head, and locked the cam up, the belt has kept turning the pulley, and bolt until the bolt has tightenend up that much it has sheered, then the pulley has just spun

so due to a manufacturing fault at kent, somewhere, metal fatigue or summat has occured, the part that has shattered is under no forces to cause it to shatter, so leaves only design/manufacture error.

needless to say i wont be using em again, or recommending em to anyone until they prove to me that they are looking at the problem and rectifying it

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2005, 09:30
Were your reprofiled ones Jon or blank ones?

2 live
02-09-2005, 09:31
blanks mate

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2005, 09:35
Ah well, tis the chance you take when ****in around with your motor

BenR
02-09-2005, 09:39
ya see john!

Hence why i dont use them at all now.

Especially for blanks you would expect them to be top notch.

GazTwo
02-09-2005, 09:45
:shock: .....need to find out what cams I'm running.... :(

2 live
02-09-2005, 09:51
ya see john!

yes mate i see lol

and i def wont be using em next time

oh well....shit happens..least i got 15000 miles out of em instead of 150 lol

(just re-read that^^ no dig intended lol)

BRUN
02-09-2005, 09:58
think ive got Piper cams in mine, with Kent pulleys, not sure.....hopefully its that way around

BenR
02-09-2005, 10:01
ya see john!

yes mate i see lol

lol, no worries mate.

ANd others with kents, i wouldnt go mad worrying about it. It probably wont happen. Perhaps it was a bad batch of blanks.

northy
02-09-2005, 10:01
Ive just written to them guys.

2 live
02-09-2005, 10:04
ya see john!

yes mate i see lol

lol, no worries mate.

ANd others with kents, i wouldnt go mad worrying about it. It probably wont happen. Perhaps it was a bad batch of blanks.

thats wot they said to me when i enquired about the probs after martins had happened mate....they ensured me that it was a 1 off

northy
02-09-2005, 10:07
Copy of my letter.

Dear Kent

I own the Uk website for williamsclios. (www.williamsclio.co.uk) and a few of my members, including myself are running your RN2002 cams and pulleys.

Over the past few weeks, it has become known to me that there is a potential design problem with these cams in the F7R engines.

Since one of my own members had this problem (2months ago whilst on a club driving day), i have foundout that there have been 4 other failures of the same type in other peoples cars - resulting in catastrophic engine failures.

I have only just recently fitted mine and have covered 1000 miles, but i am now worried about running them.

Is there a recall on these cams that i haven't been made aware of ?

I am having some headwork done on the car soon and the cams will be out of the car.....can i send them back to yourselves for checking and testing please.

I carnt afford to take a risk on a common problem that could cause thousands of pounds worth of engine failure.

Many thanks.

RiCh
www.williamsclio.co.uk

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2005, 10:10
I've emailed them too

Jason
02-09-2005, 10:42
It's really good that you took some action,
maybe now they'll finaly give you an answer :evil:

Well they've just lost another potential customer 8)

northy
02-09-2005, 10:50
we could do with a list of known failures to help each other out with this issue lads.

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2005, 10:52
we could do with a list of known failures to help each other out with this issue lads.

Well there's Martins and Infinicars I know of oh and Jons

northy
02-09-2005, 10:53
and were the failures the same ???

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2005, 10:55
and were the failures the same ???

No idea, think Infinicars were down to the Pulleys, might be worth emailing Paul?

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2005, 11:01
This a quote from Cliosport from Pauls Restoration Project

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=126850&ReturnPage=&PagePosition=0&ThreadPage=6

Bad news Im afraid.

One of the 'Kent Cams' vernier pullies broke this morning, bending 8 inlet valves........the engine had run less than an hour......

Paul

Tommo
02-09-2005, 11:40
Shit!

I'm running Kent cams, I'm very worried now... :(

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2005, 11:44
Shit!

I'm running Kent cams, I'm very worried now... :(

Hey man can you email Kent witha similar letter info@kentcams.com ?

Me, Northy and Gaz have mailed already.

Tommo
02-09-2005, 11:50
I will do mate

Prob is I bought the car with them already fitted, don't know where I would stand with warranty etc.?

FlamingMonkey
02-09-2005, 11:58
I will do mate

Prob is I bought the car with them already fitted, don't know where I would stand with warranty etc.?

Probably worth expressing your concerns due to recent events with 2lives car, anyway

u33db
02-09-2005, 13:09
think ive got Piper cams in mine, with Kent pulleys, not sure.....hopefully its that way around

Rest easy, it is. HP spec

Martin
02-09-2005, 13:36
Might not bother with cams now :shock: .....nahh **** it it'll be reet. lol

Not good though that I certainly won't be purchasing from kent.....

dimkais
02-09-2005, 14:08
Ive got a pair of vernier pulleys and a pair of RN 2004 stainless steel cams.I had no problems with the cams but when i got off the top engine cover, the exh cam was damaged cause of not good material used and after that one of the pulleys broke (compelately destroyed) but had no prob with the valves!!!!I do kno any other case i was lucky :cry:

Dimitris

2 live
02-09-2005, 14:17
so thats 5 out of 7 cars with kent cams have fukt up??

MatBrown
02-09-2005, 15:10

Rest easy, it is. HP spec

Yeah,
Nick uses Piper cams.

Mat.

Fred
02-09-2005, 16:17
Nick Hill had a Kent failure i believe???

Nick Hill
02-09-2005, 19:00
I do not use Kent for cams but some time ago when Piper had no stock of vernier pullies I used a pair of Kent pullies on a race Spider. 3 laps of Oulton Park and they shattered. Kent said they would like to see the pullies and would replace the broken one for me. WOW that takes care of the rebuild then. Did not even bother to send them back and wont use them ever again.

BenR
02-09-2005, 20:44
same happened to me..................no more thanks.

Mark_Ritchspeed
02-09-2005, 21:10
Just got to say my AWT cams are running superbly. Admittedly on standard timing, but so far I am very impressed. The verniers will follow later.

The question is though. How can a company as big and as respected as Kent, get it so wrong and not do **** all about it afterwards?

Justin..
03-09-2005, 00:20
is it a cam or pulley issue? sounds to me to be a pulley issue :?

BenR
03-09-2005, 00:49
both.

2 live
03-09-2005, 12:21
was def a cam issue on mine....if the cam hadnt locked, the pulley bolt wouldnt have tightened up til it sheered.

there was absolutely nothing wrong with the pullies, apart from the damage that the cam failure caused

still no reply off kent......surely this is against the trading act.....i mean.they have sold goods they know to be inadequate, or that the goods have a possible fault....they knew this nearly 2 years ago......surely theres guidelines as to the safety and quality of the products they sell

GazTwo
03-09-2005, 13:34
I will e-mail them today.

Tommo
03-09-2005, 14:07
Maybe somebody should email this thread to them...

If Nick Hill doesn't use them then something is definitely wrong!!

NickFr
03-09-2005, 14:56
It's simple, someone collect all of the details of all the failiures and contact trading standards, they will advise what the next step should be.

The only way forward is to present a united front, you will have a lot more clout and I suspect the company in question will consider it to be in their best interest to sort this problem out!

Mark_Ritchspeed
03-09-2005, 18:38
Nicks right. The more people that stand together the better and if Kent dont want to play ball, take them to court.

That many failures could not be passed off as a one-off manufacturing defect or wrong installation.

NickFr
03-09-2005, 18:52
I am not working at the moment, therefore I would be prepared to contact trading standards and act as liason. I would need everyone concerned to send me the details of what cams they purchased and when fitted to what by who, what vehicles and all the relevant details ie...how much damage was made by the failiure of the cams. I would also contact the company and make them aware of the situation and perhaps they would see it as in their best interest to remedy the situation.

Let me know asap

Nick

2 live
04-09-2005, 13:29
thanks nick....ur a star.

the mails iv written to kent have all been ignored tho, and iv asked about warranties for other people who have just fitted them/bought them etc, as mine were fitted in feb last year, so the initial consumers warranty has expired. but kent still havent got back to me to explain what is actually covered by their warranty if things fuk up. i tried to get some more info off them before i started this thread, to let the ppl whov bought them know that something was being done about them, but i cant say that, as i have had no response from kent.

so all i can do now is pass on my fears about these cams, and hope that nothing goes wrong with em in the engines they are fitted to. but tbh, if they avoiding mails etc on this subject, i cant see that they will have been bothered about rectifying the problem

J o n
05-09-2005, 11:30
so wonder if this means if Stromba will be writing his apology to Ben and Andy after talking a load of shit on a subject he knows **** all about? To be more specific i'm talking about a certain persons car and a certain problem with Kent cams, but i though best to remind people after they were so sure that it was down to individual error... it's nice when nasty people say nasty things and then look like dicks after shooting their mouth off too quickly and too often eh? :wink: :lol:

Fred
05-09-2005, 16:26
so wonder if this means if Stromba will be writing his apology to Ben and Andy after talking a load of shit on a subject he knows f*ck all about? To be more specific i'm talking about a certain persons car and a certain problem with Kent cams, but i though best to remind people after they were so sure that it was down to individual error... it's nice when nasty people say nasty things and then look like dicks after shooting their mouth off too quickly and too often eh? :wink: :lol:

Free beer to this man

BenR
05-09-2005, 19:52
but you dont work in a pub anymore!!!

THIEF!!!!

northy
13-09-2005, 16:24
Hi Guys.

Ive had a return email from kent, and have spoken to their representative Andy Burns. (01303 248666)

He has read flamingmonkeys, 2lives & myown email, And todate has been unaware of any problems with the RN2002. Todate no one has sent him proof of the failures....

2live - if you could send him the video footage and your damaged cam parts. That would be a great start. And then arrange to post the cam to Andy?

Between ourselves and Kent - they are more than willing to resolve the possible issues & concerns that we have.

Kent have a link to this page - so any replys will be read.

matty
13-09-2005, 19:32
Well I have had some brand new billet RN1603 cams and followers ready to fit in my valver but have not since cambelt change on 72k as did not want the added expense. So will fit these at next cambelt change which I am planning at 108k (72k plus 36k) to be safe.

Hopefully the cams will be fine and I will definately not be using Kent Pullies as there does seem to be a problem there. Catcams or Ben R's will be my choice of fitment.

Shame Kent now has such a bad rep. After hearing this I would not go near their pullies and their cams are now clouded but hopefully and problem was down to a specific cam model rather than all or pulley.

Hopefully my RN1603s will be safe. If not expect a post here in coming months........

northy
14-09-2005, 08:39
Hi Matty.

If you could keep us updated that would be great.

Ive emailed Infinicar - to ask for his problems encountered.

2 live
14-09-2005, 12:58
well if theyre reading this.....if they want to contact me for proof of damage..il gladly speak to them.

all the broken bits of the cam i have now binned tho..the thrust washer part...but still have the cam, pulley and also the bolt i think.......rest has gone in the bin. where it now resides seeing as tho its useless.

J o n
14-09-2005, 13:06
Jon, I still have the vid of the broken cam if you dont anyway mate and have seen the damage first hand if you need a witness! lol

TBH i'm still shocked it was the actual cam and not the pulley... very scary, i'd be wanting back the costs of a new head, valves, pulleys, cam(s) and labour... it's lucky the bottom end didn't go!

Guys, get your cams and pulleys from AWT in future!!!

northy
14-09-2005, 13:18
jon - can you email the footage to andy and then arrange with him to return your cam and pulley.

He is the person we need to deal with our enquiry.

2 live
14-09-2005, 13:25
yeah the clip can be sent over. i can get a full engineers report as well to diagnose the initial fault on the cam...which has already been done btw.

thing is tho.....how come they were never aware of the problem when nick hill, and gdi/awt have already stated that they have been ignored when they reported probs too??

they were obviously aware of the problem..by all accounts

northy
14-09-2005, 13:30
not sure - they have your email jon - but its asking for a replacement cam and pulley only. No record of any complaints.

If it was me and i'd of had a failure like infincars - i would have been straight on the phone - but he said this is the fist time of any feeback on the cams.

we need to sort this as a club - im going to be sending mine in for testing before i fit them.

2 live
14-09-2005, 14:00
if theyd read all of em theyd see the full description of what happened.

i sent more than 1 e-mail

J o n
14-09-2005, 14:04
i fear the only reason you got a reply Rich is due to the nature of forums and that 1000's of people read them... GDI/AWT prolly got ignored just as Jon did, as in the scheme of things it's only 1 customer to them... I know this is a cynical view to take, but companies like that will NEVER admit liability and know that nothing will ever come of it and so they continue to get away with it... it's typical Brit industry attitude, shaft that little guy (pun intended :oops: terrible huh?)

matty
14-09-2005, 19:18
not sure - they have your email jon - but its asking for a replacement cam and pulley only. No record of any complaints.

If it was me and i'd of had a failure like infincars - i would have been straight on the phone - but he said this is the fist time of any feeback on the cams.

we need to sort this as a club - im going to be sending mine in for testing before i fit them.

If they are prepared to test their cams for a suspected problem I would welcome them doing the same to mine before I fit them.

northy
15-09-2005, 11:28
Thats what they will be doing with mine Matty.

Ive had a return email for Infinicar - ive contacted hill power aswell.

Were making progress on this lads...can we try and get everyone together who has ever had a problem and pm me please.

northy
15-09-2005, 13:17
I am gradually being educated with other peoples problems. And Kent are doing there research aswell into the causes.

I still need a reply from Nick Hill as for his experiances.

At this stage - I am hoping to have my cams checked over by kent prior to fitment.

To all those concerned - i have emailed my latest reply a few minutes ago.

Nick Hill
17-09-2005, 16:03
The failure I had was not with Kents cams but their vernier pullies.

2 live
18-09-2005, 10:09
well andy from kent has been in touch. im going to arrange for kent to pick my head and cams up so they can have a look at the damage, and hopefully sort the problem out.

i doubt theyl reimburse me for any damage caused tho, but hopefully it will put the other members with these cams fitted at ease.....which is what i was trying to do sendng them mails before i posted this thread.

hopefully they will pay me for the damage caused, or at least repair it if its possible, even if its only to try to recoup some of the good reputation they have/had as a company.

only time will tell. il be arranging pick up for the stuff tomoro, see what they say

NickFr
18-09-2005, 10:13
Good luck mate, at least it appears that things are moving forward :wink:

2 live
18-09-2005, 10:23
yes mate hopefully things will get sorted one way or another.

must admit tho.im fully expecting them to pass liability off to something else. that isnt their fault.

but iv had a few chats with the engineer that does my valves...and he also states that the problem lies fully with the cam...there was plenty oil there, no signs of dry running, no movement in the cams to cause the damage, etc.

the only thing we can think of to cause it, is if the washer has been hit sideways by something really hard, or something has hit the end of the cam really hard causing movement. but there is nothing that can move inside the head to hit the end of the cam, there was no other bits of metal from anywhere else roaming about in the head. and the cam cant move sideways anyway.....so obviously there must be something else that caused the prob.

just need to find out what now.hopefully kent will find the prob, and repair/relace parts that have been damaged if its deemed the fault lay with the cam. and hopefully they will then re-call all poss other cams that may have a fault so evryone can rest easy

northy
19-09-2005, 07:51
good lad jon.

make sure that you keep us all updated.

GDI
10-10-2005, 11:51
its an odd problem that has been reported from all sorts of sources.

no one seems to have an answer yet expect for material fatiuge....!!!!!

J o n
10-10-2005, 12:36
either way it's not good and if Kent are aware of this (which they must have been for years...) then it's not saying much for them as a company. Scary stuff... !