PDA

View Full Version : Help with a few Issues

Dean250
31-08-2014, 09:49
Been doing some work on my Williams 2 I am restoring, the final jobs are coming together before I can strip the body down and prepare the car for a full respray but I have these issues and would be grateful of help!

1. Handbrake cables, the originals were frayed so I ordered some more from the motor factors and removed them, removing them was a bit of a bitch as the fixings were rotten and the cable was seized in on both sides in the assembly.

The cables that came were incorrect, 2 short and i think for drums as they have the spring on the cable. Ordered more from Euro car parts explaining that using the car reg doesn't get the correct part and I told them the length required only for the wrong cables to come again.

So where do people get the correct handbrake cables from?

2. Re-fitting bonnet - I removed the bonnet to make the car easier to work on, but refitting it has proved difficult to line up, this isn't essential right now as the car is going away to be painted once I get an MOT put on her, but I want to make sure I can get it lined up before It's painted rather than when it is painted.

The bonnet was lined up when it was removed so it's not a historical issue, I know the only adjustment in reality is on studs but I spent a few hours yesterday and couldn't get it to something i was happy with. It's sitting tight towards the light on the passenger side but looks like the headlight could do with coming forward a cm or so which wouldn't be right! (hard to explain I know pics would be better!)

Coops
31-08-2014, 10:02
Buy genuine cables from renault, not cheap but will be correct.

Bonnet alignment is always a nightmare, it literally is just a case of fettling until your happy

16v_paddy
31-08-2014, 12:52
I got some handbrake cables from a local factors, still got a new 1 in the packet so I'll dig out the part number for you, should help get the right ones in :winkey:

Bonnet alignment is always a complete arsehole, just keep at it, trial & error gets there eventually

Dean250
31-08-2014, 20:43
Cheers lads, I usually do tend to buy renault items but was in a rush and thought it wouldn't be as essential with these.

I played with the bonnet for a good while, its strange as you can basically see on the bonnet exactly where the hinge bracket was mounted previously. It will need to come off again but want to make sure I can get it lined up before it's painted!

16v_paddy
31-08-2014, 21:08
Are you getting the underside of the bonnet painted as well? Don't forget about the rubbers on the underside of the bonnet and the bits on the top of the wings for bonnet rubbers to sit on will all affect the alignment

Dean250
31-08-2014, 21:23
I did plan to get the underside painted as i was going to get everything done, even bought the replacement labels for the underside but now I am not going to go to this extent as it's not required. As I have 2 williams and a few other cars on the go I just want to keep the respray below 2k ideally, I will be stripping the car myself.

All of the rubbers that seat on the wings are in place!, I will have another play around and take some pictures, its the passenger side in particular, it looks tight against the light and it's as if the light is set back slightly, as the front part of the bonnet isn't sitting quite level with the light unit

Wobba
01-09-2014, 21:57
Rubber bonnet stops :) I've lost mine.

I must be lucky as I never have an issue with aligning my bonnet. I pop it off from time to time, such as at rolling road sessions and have no issue. You are taking the bonnet grill off and tightening through the gap with a 13mm ratchet spanner yea?

Don't align based on the position with the front lights, but by the front wings. The lights can be moved a bit to fit snug to the bonnet after you've got it set right, usually.

Always OEM handbrake cable ;)