PDA

View Full Version : ALARM Help!

Dean250
18-08-2014, 19:34
The alarm keeps going off does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

I keep having to turn the alarm off in the engine bay, when leaving the car in the garage.

Here's the story of how this all started….

I had an issue with my williams battery running flat whilst I was working away and the alarm going off much to my neighbours and partners annoyance.

Anyways it killed the old battery to the point where it would no longer charge as the alarm had been trying to sound and was just very quietly chirping for a long period, whilst trying to charge the battery the alarm kept sounding as soon as enough charge was there, opening the door and leaving the car unlocked would sort the alarm going off but the battery was knackered.

I fitted a new battery and got the car started, the new bosch battery drained down again through lack of use whilst away (Alarm light being constantly 'on' whilst the car is locked seems to drain the battery in 2 weeks), I tried to charge the battery using the trickle charger that came with the car but that unfortunately died at some point throughout charging so I fully charged the battery with a normal charger.

Now to start the car the alarm has to be switched on in the engine bay otherwise the car can't be started, but since switching the alarm on and off the car alarm keeps going off when the car is being used normally.

The last few times I've driven the car anywhere and locked it the alarm goes off so I don't like to leave it locked anywhere, I tend to go out just to drive the car not to go somewhere in it as such but it's frustrating and the alarm light drains the battery very quickly! must get another maintenance charger soon!

katbloke
18-08-2014, 19:38
Could be a dody voltage drop switch in the bonnet or doors

martink
18-08-2014, 21:14
Could be a dody voltage drop switch in the bonnet or doors

Hi, have you checked the boot switch, my alarm kept going off and I found the boot light staying on due to a broken boot switch.

Dean250
18-08-2014, 21:33
Thanks for the replies guys. The door switches are definitely fine as the interior light comes on and off with both doors opening and closing, the bonnet switch would just indicate a light on the dash wouldn't it?

boot switch is an interesting one, makes me wonder if the light is staying on in the boot and draining the battery and causing the alarm to go off.

The only thing is that this issue only started really with me letting the battery get low and then having to turn the alarm off under the bonnet. I wouldn't have thought that something needs resetting when switching the alarm under the bonnet as it simply seems to turn the alarm on or off, when its off it stops the car from being able to start at all!

Dean250
18-08-2014, 23:20
Quick update, the doors and boot switches are definitely fine

The bonnet switch seems ok, although not entirely sure on the workings of it?

uses a singe core and looks like it is grounded when switched (pushed down, bonnet closed?) gave it a firm few presses anyways

willy3ams
19-08-2014, 19:46
If it's the original cobra alarm. Mine kept going off too. I later found out the internal battery had started leaking battery acid all over the circuit board thus making the alarm system useless.
Cost me a new alarm system!
hope this helps

FATBOY
19-08-2014, 20:49
if its the original cobra alarm then get rid and renew! thats what i done when my cobra played up on my old williams 3, and remember these alarms are nearly 20 years old..... go for a TOAD Ai606 :winkey:

Dean250
19-08-2014, 20:54
Thanks for the advice, I would prefer not to change the alarm just to keep it original but if thats required I will.

It's just the nature of how this has came about really, it was working fine as such no issues then i switched it off under the bonnet and now its playing up!

The car it's self has spent along time garaged up and the alarms own battery seems to be working given that it's going off when the car battery is totally flat.

I will have to open the alarm up and asses it

Dean250
21-08-2014, 19:27
I think the alarm is ok now, I got the manual out, once the alarm has been turned off with the security key it needs to be power cycled twice as a feature.

I tried this last night and the alarm seemed to be ok not going off every 5 mins!

Wobba
01-09-2014, 21:48
Yep. I tore my old system out completely, mostly for weight saving and also as it was shit anyway lol.