PDA

View Full Version : How can it be..

fab
09-08-2014, 20:20
That OE supplied rear shocks and front struts are fooked and they haven't seen 3K miles since I bought them?:evil:
OE prices aswell! Saw me coming they did those reno wanks.

You dont think that a car that's just sat there screws up the dampers?:-k

Mine are doing what the ones on the left are in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6rQ3e2U2IE

Guess there's no chance of a refund seeing as I bought them in 2007.:violin:

Crossers
09-08-2014, 21:44
I bought shocks all round for the 225 in March this year from Renault (Ads @ Wolverhampton), within two months and less than 1k miles one of the rear shocks completely failed and dumped its oil on my driveway.

To be fair to Ads, he sorted replacements out with my local stealers =D>.

Maybe some of the rubber seals inside have perished due to lack of use on yours; i.e the oil not sloshing around to lubricate them?

Paul

fab
09-08-2014, 22:57
Maybe some of the rubber seals inside have perished due to lack of use on yours; i.e the oil not sloshing around to lubricate them?
Paul

That is what has me concerned.
If I go out buy some new road use dampers are they gonna just fail like these ones? I'll be replacing shocks whether I do zero or 40k miles.

The gas thing is I got 2 old decarbon dampers on the rear to replace the "new ones" (these were the brand originally fitted to the willy's, as we know), they must be over 20 years old and they still work great.

Just one of those things I guess.

fab
10-08-2014, 13:06
Following some further testing and some very considerate information via pm,I have drawn the following conclusions:

1. The dampers still work as there is resistance either way they are pushed/pulled,and with no sign of oil leakage would pass an MOT no probs.
2. It is very likely they have lost their rebound efficiency, and further proof of this is when driving the car it's squatting and when pulling out of the driveway over a little hump the font end is a wee bit bouncy. Then again this can be attributed to a weak shock absorber design.
3.The rear shocks I threw in the bin last year were still fit for purpose.:oops:
4.Yer man in the vid works for a chinese corporation and his job is to spread viral messages around the net making people believe their dampers are fooked and that we should go out and buy new ones.:gay:

Have a nice Sunday lads and lassies!