PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Cable

Vandella
08-08-2014, 09:34
So, Seeing as Renault don't stock these anymore, was looking around at the pattern parts..

Firstly, does anyone know who produces these cables for Renault?

Secondly, the few aftermarket ones I have found seem to be quite cheap.. not that im moaning but they give conflicting data...

This Pagid one, says the length is 1787mm, - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Clio-MK-I-1990-1998-Hatchback-PAGID-Clutch-Cable-Car-Replacement-Parts-/291153612658?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AClio%7CCars+Type%3AWilliams&hash=item43ca1b8f72

but these two show 992mm? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRW-GCC1758-Clutch-Cable-for-RENAULT-CLIO-1990-2008-/191216860958?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AClio%7CCars+Type%3AWilliams&hash=item2c8569bf1e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAPCO-CLUTCH-CABLE-RENAULT-CLIO-I-B-C57-5-357-1-8-B-C57C-B-C57U-/191256176078?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AClio%7CCars+Type%3AWilliams&hash=item2c87c1a5ce

any idea which it should be as I'm at work and cant measure old (genuine) one.. Cheers Guys

Justin..
08-08-2014, 10:41
This is bad news. Genuine cables were always better than aftermarket :(

fab
08-08-2014, 15:32
992mm is for left hand drive models,hence I cannot help you with the measurements you seek for a RHD cable.

I'd imagine if you are fitting a new ratchet which adjusts the cable/pedal position you should be good to go.

Look on the bright side,you can become the clutch cable ambassador for RHD willys if it works out ok!

also,you need to double/triple check with renault garages rgd part availability. Some of them haven't a clue.

Crossers
08-08-2014, 20:23
What are the symptoms of the ratchet not working properly?

The previous owner of mine had a new clutch cable fitted due to the clutch being stiff and struggling to engage a gear with the engine running. The bite is fine, so im not sure that its the friction material causing the issue. It feels as if it just needs a few mm more travel at the gearbox end and it'd be fine.

Paul

16v_paddy
08-08-2014, 21:10
What are the symptoms of the ratchet not working properly?

The previous owner of mine had a new clutch cable fitted due to the clutch being stiff and struggling to engage a gear with the engine running. The bite is fine, so im not sure that its the friction material causing the issue. It feels as if it just needs a few mm more travel at the gearbox end and it'd be fine.

Paul

Your symptoms are it, sure fire way to tell is measure the travel of the clutch fork when the pedal is pressed. Should be 17 - 21mm, 17 being it's time to replace & a brand new 1 moves it 21mm :winkey:

This is bad news. Genuine cables were always better than aftermarket :(

To throw a spanner in the works, I've found the exact opposite to be the case, I've never snapped a pattern part cable yet snapped plenty of genuine ones :-?

Crossers
09-08-2014, 17:54
I'm only getting 10mm of travel on the clutch fork. The ratchet does seem to grip straight away and doesn't slip, its just not pulling the cable far enough. Could the cable be threaded incorrectly through the ratchet mechanism, or is this lack of travel a just a symptom of a worn ratchet mechanism?

Paul

16v_paddy
09-08-2014, 18:59
10mm :shock: I'm gobsmacked you can even disengage the clutch :lol:

Check how the cable is attached to the pedal, it only fits on 1 way but I have seen them fitted incorrectly & still work. There's a hole in the bit the cable hooks onto, the cable is supposed to go through the hole but I have seen them with the cable going over the top of it

Crossers
09-08-2014, 19:20
I was a little surprised myself, it only struggles with reverse and 3rd!

I'll take it apart Monday and take a look :-k