PDA

View Full Version : Very hard driving from new

KingStromba
01-03-2005, 00:16
Cant be good for a 182 to be thrashed from new?

A certain person from CS mentions how hard he drives it every post he makes. Is this car going to be dead soon?

MatBrown
01-03-2005, 01:18
He's got warranty so why worry.

Always quicker when not ran in properly but a bright flame doesn't burn for as long.

Mat.

KingStromba
01-03-2005, 01:21
Hmmm, wouldnt want to buy it after 3 years :shock:

dannyt
01-03-2005, 08:48
Thing is though Stromba the same thing happened when our cars came out, valvers and williams, 3 years free warranty or even a year or whatever and straight away the young ones prob hammered them, then when went in for a service the mechanics prob gave them a hammering and now we own them, so really it's a vicious circle mate!!!

Danny

KingStromba
01-03-2005, 11:03
I dont agree. The demographics are completely different. Ive yet to see a Williams 1 owned by a young lad as the first owner. They were just too expensive. Mine was owned by a pilot. Yeah im sure he drove it swiftly. I can never say it wasnt thrashed. But you think a BA Concord pilot needs to thrash a car to get his thrills?

You look at the service history and lots were originally owned by families, middle aged men, enthusiasts or collectors. Not young hooligans. The demographic for the 182 is 'young lad, point to prove, races everything he sees' type.

2 live
01-03-2005, 11:07
mine was owned by a manager or summat at a reno dealer.used only in summer for first few years of its life, then handed to his son.a 30 odd year old by then, who was petrified in the passenger seat on the test drive, which told me he didnt know wot the car was capable of, so probs never thrashed it

big hp
01-03-2005, 11:13
mine was owned by a manager or summat at a reno dealer.used only in summer for first few years of its life, then handed to his son.a 30 odd year old by then, who was petrified in the passenger seat on the test drive, which told me he didnt know wot the car was capable of, so probs never thrashed it

No, he just remembered what happened last time he drove it like that :wink:

Swervin_Mervin
01-03-2005, 11:25
You can't compare old to new though. Modern tolernaces are so much smaller that I don't really think hammering it from the off will be a problem at all.

As long as it's maintained well it'll be fine. All the cars in our family were thrashed from new (by me dad!) and never any trouble. The 25 made it to 290k!

dannyt
01-03-2005, 12:07
Well to tell you the truth KS I can't vouch for the 400 williams 1 owners that they weren't thrashed from new and all owned by the older generation who looked after them, as there is no proof that I have to say a few of the younger gen didn't get hold of them from time to time!

You also can't tell me that the reno mechanics who worked on them didn't take them out for a screw from cold of punished it on only 2k or whatever, as you weren't there pal, but I know mates of mine who work at reno and do it to the new motors 172 and 182, also audi TT's etc, so why wouldn't they have done it to a williams???

There aren't bothered that they were special motors, they want to know how they drive!!!

Also if the Pilot who owned yours didn't need to thrash it to get his frills then why did he buy it in the first place!!! I think it's a different feeling to flying concord at cruise than taking the best handling hot hatch down some B roads, however again I cannot comment as I wasn't there throught the entire life of your car so don't know!!!

But I can admit that my car will have been thrashed in the past and possibly from cold too, by a few people, as i give it a good healthy blast every now and then too, but the only thing I can guarentee is that i look after it and won't let people i don't know get there hands on it, like mechanics i don't know etc!

Just my opion!

Danny

NickFr
01-03-2005, 12:28
I agree with Danny you pays your money and takes your chance, but what I will say is that most of you guys are alot younger than me but have significantly more knowledge of your motors than I do. Also I suspect you drive your cars like the designers intended!!, however from what little I have picked up on this site is that you guys look after and maintain your cars like nobody else. I WOULD BUY A USED CAR OFF ANYONE OF YOU!! :wink:

Purple
01-03-2005, 12:32
mine who work at reno and do it to the new motors 172 and 182, also audi TT's etc, so why wouldn't they have done it to a williams???

There aren't bothered that they were special motors, they want to know how they drive!!!

Am quite lucky only 3 specific mechanics at the Renault workshop gets assigned to touch my Williams (being the only 1 in the country). But I tell them - since there's no way I can stop them from caning my car - to drive within their own limits and to warm the engine for 10mins before driving. It keep's them happy to do a decent job everytime I go in.

Oh! Also told them I will kill them and their entire family if they damage my precious car. We take our blood fueds quite seriously here, your know. :-)

KingStromba
01-03-2005, 12:32
Well firstly no Reno mechanic would ever take my car out for a 'spin' as i make it quite clear wherever i take it (that i dont know or trust) that permission for a test drive is 'refused by owner' by handing them a letter stating such. In the letter i state that if evidence is found of mistreating the car or unapproved test drive, then legal action will ensue. This will in 100% of cases do the trick.

Another point is that most Williams' were originally owned by collectors and enthusisats. I feel, in my opinion that alot where taken out for a country drive on sundays, and garaged. Most look to be second cars (judging by mileage) so were probably loved more for their looks and ownership appeal than speed. A good example of the difference between ownership appeal and speed being the new mini and the 182. I would hazzard a guess that most mini owners bought their car for the snob appeal of owning it rather than its speed (check out how many are older women and middle aged men). I would suggest that most persons who buy a 182 buy it because it is the cheapest way to go fast. There is less ownership appeal with this car. In just the way that buying a mini in 10 years time will probably assure you a less thrashed car than the 182, i suggest that a similar situation to the Williams 10 years on.

Im sure there were a few thrashed Williams', but i really cant see them getting the 'abuse' that some modern Clio owners seem to place on their 172's and 182's. I mean when the Williams came out how many do you think saw a quater mile strip? How many went on track days? Not many.

The attitude of first Williams owners seemed to be 'buy the car, look after it, own it for 7 to 10 years and love it'

The attitude of first 182 owners seems to be 'buy the car, go as fast as possible everywhere i go, own it for 2 and a half years and sell it before the warenty runs out as it wont last much beyonf that'.

I mean i see posts by 182 owners on CS who havnt checked the oil in the first 3000 miles as 'thats Renaults job at the first service'. :shock:

But thats i guess what happens when chavs get hold of fast cars.

Swervin_Mervin
01-03-2005, 12:40
Very true on the last point.

Something I argued about in my "modern renaults are gash" thread was that people couldn't use the unreliability card for the older cars as we don't all klnow how they were treated to beging with.

I did also point out that the way they just let their garages maintain their newer motors probably means they'll suffer just as many problems in the future as the valvers/willys do, if not more.

This, of course, fell on deaf/stupid ears

NickFr
01-03-2005, 12:41
Good points made KS, however, if and I know you won't, sell your motor, the new owner will only have your word on the precautions that you have taken to look after her. Your arguement on demographics and profile of owners is I suspect pretty spot on.

KingStromba
01-03-2005, 12:59
I can tell in 90% of case how the previous owner has treated the car. Its just psychology. You wont be able to catch out a professional liar, but 90% of people are just too easy to catch out.

If you look at the guys house, his clothes, how he talks, what he talks about, you should be able to tell after 5 mins if the car was abused.

When the guy comes to look at my car (if i was going to sell it) he would know straight away it was loved. The receipts i have prove that. Not just major thing but stuff i didnt need to but, like new gear knob, new areial, things just to finish it off (not that any fooker will get their filthy hands on my machines).

Purple
01-03-2005, 13:10
The demographics are completely different. Ive yet to see a Williams 1 owned by a young lad as the first owner. They were just too expensive..

I hate it when I see myself as a demographics stats. But KS got me pegged.

Got mine 9 years ago - partly to slow down from crazy turbo scooby speeds plus I have always liked small cars (the scooby legacy was too big). The first owner was a "ridiculously fussy" and the mechanics were really happy when took over. After 9 years of quite hard daily driving but good maintenance record", this little car is really the most reliable 4 wheels I have ever owned (incredibly strange thing to say about Renault).

Tommo
01-03-2005, 14:00
Just cos a middle aged person has owned the car it doesn't mean they haven't thrashed it. My Dad is 56 and he's one of the fastest drivers I know. My willy was originally owned by a retired school teacher and he used to track it - although it was meticulously maintained and looking at the bills and the condition I could tell that it was cherished. I think as long as an enthusiast regadless of age has owned it and kept it maintained regardless of cost then there shouldn't be a problem. But you can be unlucky, touch wood mine doesn't throw up any surprises!!

J o n
01-03-2005, 14:03
Just cos a middle aged person has owned the car it doesn't mean they haven't thrashed it. My Dad is 56 and he's one of the fastest drivers I know. My willy was originally owned by a retired school teacher and he used to track it - although it was meticulously maintained and looking at the bills and the condition I could tell that it was cherished. I think as long as an enthusiast regadless of age has owned it and kept it maintained regardless of cost then there shouldn't be a problem. But you can be unlucky, touch wood mine doesn't throw up any surprises!!

I think the point about the older drivers are that they may give the car some serious stick, but it will generally only be once warmed up. It will also have oil levels constantly full, thats the mature owner profile we all hope our cars have had... sadly whoever had mine before me had no clue and were only interested in keeping it clean... and replacing it with non Williams bits...