PDA

View Full Version : Brake Hydraulic Issue O/S Williams 3 Abs.

Fuzzy
23-07-2014, 19:46
Hi folks, after a little bit of input into a Williams 3 braking issue please.

The brakes are a really strange one, got the car Mot’d last October but the battery failed the following day just after I was dropped off at the airport (at least it was outside his garage, clever car!). Got a couple of friends to push it into the garage and upon my return in April fitted a new battery to the key fobs, car, and hey presto off I went for a road test to clean up the discs and check for any problems. Did some light braking and everything felt pretty reasonable after sitting for 7 months.
Emma followed me for 25 miles to my house, slow drive and mentioned to me that the brakes were shit, I drove it and had to agree, they were shit, with the Abs kicking in when you brake.

I fitted new front discs and pads last year (300 miles ago) and a garage local to her fitted new rear discs and pads 6 months previously (500 miles ago).
Stripped down the rear brakes for inspection, all was good apart from the retaining spring clips (one missing from each side) so a new kit was fitted to each side, the callipers are free and hand brake is sufficient, also gave the bias valve a lube to stop it seizing.

Stripped down the front brakes for inspection, all still clean and free, both callipers moving as they should. Took him for a drive and the brakes were still shit.

Did a brake test with the car jacked up ( person in car pressing the brake while I span the wheels), rear brakes held fine when pressing the brake (o/s and n/s).

Checked the front, n/s locks up fine but no hydraulic pressure to the o/s ??? Removed the osf wheel and noticed that the piston was still in the pushed back position. Brake pressed again but no movement from the piston.
Thought that it may be possible that the flexy hose has crapped itself by collapsing internally even though the piston pushed back ok, so I disconnected the brake pipe at the Abs unit to the o/s, pressed the brake and no fluid comes out, the pedal stays firm!

Just thinking that something inside the Abs unit is stuck hydraulically (the Abs works fine as far as I can ascertain, it would pull like a bugger to the n/s with only one calliper working but it pulls pretty straight on the three working callipers when the Abs kicks in and the Abs light works ok. I changed the o/s Abs reluctor ring last year as well due to the brakes being u/s, the ring was cracked, and the brakes were superb afterwards.

Abs unit is a Bosch,
0265 208 047
57 BOXAAY1
Serial no:567/551615

I’m not sure if the Abs unit was only fitted to the Williams 3 or if it is compatible with other vehicles, but I’m thinking that it may be worthwhile trying to source another unit to try, as I don’t think they are coded to the car Ecu. (any members of the forum have one for sale to your knowledge??)

Sorry for the novel, but it’s the description of how I’ve got on so far, would really like to get the Williams back on the road again until winter, when I’ll have to do rear chassis legs, sills, etc for the Mot……gulp:tongue3:.

Thanks again for taking the time to keep another Williams owner mobile and these rare beasts surviving, cheers to Dan on the forum for taking time to assist with sending on the manual supplement so promptly late last night!!

Cheers for taking the time to read this.:winkey:

Fuzzy

16v_paddy
23-07-2014, 22:31
The dreaded abs :lol:

It does sound as though the abs unit itself is at fault. As for what other vehicles it's fitted to the only definitive answer I can give is the Valver, was an optional extra on the early phase 2 cars & standard fit on the N reg cars.

It's a common thing for people to remove the abs & throw it in the bin :lol: so it could be difficult sourcing a used replacement.

A bit of googling suggests it may be possible to get it reconditioned, I found these places so might be worth giving them a call to see what they can do
http://www.ecutesting.com/abs_pumps_modules.html
http://shop.bba-reman.com/