PDA

View Full Version : Starting

Vandella
30-06-2014, 08:57
Hey Chaps,

After months being sorn had my car back on the road at the weekend for a trip over to goodwood.. the thought of driving her again and through lovely weather had me excited enough.. so comes to Thursday evening before my journey to the mrs.. get in, turn the key and nout.. all lights etc come on, fuel pump does its whir and then just doesn't turn over.. so on the phone to me mechanic for a booster.. thinking the batt needs just needs a kick up the bum.. starts first go with the booster attached.. the drive of about 50 ish miles was fine.. took it slow and gentle to work her back in.... thinking yeah that nice drive will soon charge the battery and have no more problems..

Friday morning starts no problems, gets to goodwood and had a wicked day, was like being a little kid again!! when we went to leave however.. the car did the non starting bit again.. lights and radio, dials etc all on and fine.. a good brightness.. now thought it may be the battery shitting itself and dying.. but after a few goes it starts... so we rush to get home.. suffice to say Im getting frustrated after waiting so long to drive her and then this..

next day.. try to start it.. same again.. nothing, nada, nil, fook all.. lights and all come on.. went and bought a battery booster from halfrauds to hopefully save the day.. and also as I don't have anything like this at home.. I thought itd be a worthwhile investment.. comes with a air compressor and usb charger built in!! and two lights!!

anyway.. got fed and left the car till yesterday to when I came home.. I tried and nothing.. then thought of the starter motor.. don't know why this didn't cross my mind.. so put it in gear and gave it a little rock.. boom, starts first go.. so putting this problem down to starter motor.. any opinions?

next question will be.. is it worth getting a new starter motor? I don't mind paying for a new one but if a second hand one will work then id like to save pennies when and where possible.. whats the thoughts?
Cheers guys..

ianbirch
30-06-2014, 17:44
If you have a volt meter its easy to rule out the battery and alternator... with the car not switched on the battery should be reading 12 point something volts then with the car running do the same test and it should read 14 point something volts.

Cheers Ian

ianbirch
30-06-2014, 17:57
Just went and checked my car and got 12.3 volts and 14.3 volts respectively...:)

Cheers Ian

Vandella
30-06-2014, 18:02
ah nice one mate, thanks for the info

16v_paddy
30-06-2014, 18:07
Could also be dodgy connections for the starter relay, had similar problems on the track car & found a corroded pin on the relay

Vandella
14-07-2014, 13:51
update on this..

battery has been checked, alternator has been checked.. starter has ben checked for corroded pins.. they all ok.. was given a jump cable in case the car didn't start again.. to go in place of the white cable off the starter to the battery.. to rule out the starter, as my mechanic guy had it all day.. everytime he tried (20+) to start it, guess what.. it started..

Next day the car decided not to start.. so put this wire on between the two and it went.. so have deduced that its somewhere in the loom.. between the key and the starter possibly.. anyone have any ideas? Ignition barrel? can these be cleaned/overhauled or just replaced? rather not have loads of keys to get in and started.. when it does start, i've noticed it takes a little while from I turn the key.. as though its thinking.. shit.. he's turned the key, im supposed to do something now.. oh yeah start..

16v_paddy
14-07-2014, 19:03
By corroded pins I meant on the starter relay inside the relay box

Vandella
15-07-2014, 08:21
yeah sorry paddy, meant to mention checked all of them, they all looked fine on inspection.. do u happen to know which one is the starter relay out of the 5 relays in there?

16v_paddy
15-07-2014, 18:51
I can't remember tbh :oops: :lol: I'll have a look on my car tomorrow