PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Temperature Gauge

chris.roberts2k
14-05-2014, 22:47
Hello All,

After 2 months off the road, many painstaking hours and a fortune I got the Williams back on the road today. A new fan switch sensor saw the fan cutting in and out as expected, though I noticed a strange cooling problem whilst driving.

The coolant temperature is running on the high side. between the second and third needle position during standard running (today wasn't hot either) and the needle could almost be visibly seen to be moving between this halfway and third indicator position. As far as I understood it, this represents the temperature in which the fans cut in? Though I could not hear it running with the window down. The car did not smell hot either!

Any theories on why the needle movement is so transient? I am thinking an air-lock. I have just had the head gasket replaced with a new thermostat.

Any suggestions would help!

Thanks

Chris

16v_paddy
14-05-2014, 22:52
Try a new sensor, it's the 1 on the top of the thermostat housing

chris.roberts2k
15-05-2014, 06:36
Thanks will try that today :)

chris.roberts2k
15-05-2014, 21:19
It looks like I am being overly cautious, got a bolloking from the mechanic as I took it back and he spent another couple of hours on it to find nothing wrong. A reference to the owners manual and it looks like it is operating just fine and the fluctuating is just a combination of thermostat opening to regulate temperature, voltage changes and me overly watching. Ill keep an eye on it, but it is running lovely. Its at the detailers tomorrow, then I will post some pics up, if you are interested. Thanks for your help Paddy

Jimdcfc
01-08-2014, 10:54
New on here .i have a williams 2 and the coolant temperature warning light keeps flickering on and off even though the coolant level is ok.any ideas what may be causing this .thanks

16v_paddy
01-08-2014, 20:25
The level might be fine but it doesn't mean the temperature is correct to keep the light off.

Is the cooling fan kicking in? If that's working correctly along with the thermostat the next port of call will be the sensor on top of the thermostat housing, number 1 in this pic. Check that the wiring to it is intact and the connections on the sensor & plug aren't corroded

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/2012/Dialogys%20pics/stathousing1_zpsa7b5b43a.png

Jimdcfc
02-08-2014, 18:04
Ok thanks for that will check.