PDA

View Full Version : PAS Drain

fanshawe69
29-04-2014, 08:42
Howdy,

I started dismantling the front end of the Willi in an attempt to get the engine out at the weekend. So far I have drained the oil and coolant and removed the front bumper, radiator and fan. I have a few questions around this...

- Does the front cross member need to come out?
- Where do I drain the PAS fluid from?

I'm sure more questions will come but I'm trying to create 'bitesize' chunks so that I can do a portion of work every evening after work ready to get the engine out at a weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Damo

MattDilley
29-04-2014, 10:57
You need to unbolt the top part of the front panel.
As for draining the Power steering fluid, we normal separate the rubber hose the goes across the front of the engine and connects to the metal pipe connecting the pump. Usually a 17mm and 22mm nut and bolt.(this usually needs a good soaking in Wd40)

fanshawe69
29-04-2014, 11:00
Quality.

By top part of the front panel, are you referring to be piece that goes over/holds the rad in?

Thank you.

Coops
29-04-2014, 12:23
yes, that's called the slam panel and its got I think 2 bolts on top and one at the front on each side plus the 2 holding the radiator mounts

fanshawe69
29-04-2014, 13:02
Ah, quality, cheers.

So I've had a look at on of brief guides on taking engines out in the guides section and it would appear that it's 'relatively simple' and the difficulty is all in my head. I was worried that I was going to need to remove a load of the front metal work from the subframe etc.

- Is it recommended to remove the headlight units?
- Drain the PAS
- Release the driveshafts at the ball joint
- Disconnect what I can see ie clutch, throttle, wiring etc but leave the loom on the engine
- Where is the best place to kill the fuel line?

Is there anything else I need to take into account to get it out? Sorry for all the questions, but am new to the engine removal business!

Coops
29-04-2014, 13:47
disconnect gear linkage and exhaust manifold to downpipe join

I'd take the drivers headlight out purely to protect it from getting bashed as the engine comes out

subframe can be left untouched

fuel lines just disconnect them from the rail and as you lift the engine should be able to release them from the carrier on the cam belt cover

fanshawe69
29-04-2014, 14:05
Quality, I'll see what I can get done tonight when I get home, will probably have a fresh list of problems later :D

Coops
29-04-2014, 14:07
no worries chap, good luck

any issues just post up here, more than happy to help and ripped more than my fair share of mk1's apart so overcome most stumbles these days :)

fanshawe69
29-04-2014, 14:11
Legend, thank you :)

fanshawe69
29-04-2014, 19:28
Right, so the head light is out. I've tried to trace the hoses for the PAS and one dives down towards the steering rack and one curls around the throttle body and in behind the alternator. Neither go across the front of the engine. Where am I looking for this hose joining fixed piping? Nothing obvious... Or I'm being daft? Any ideas?

fanshawe69
29-04-2014, 19:56
Worked it out. I'm daft.

Coops
29-04-2014, 22:25
glad you figured it chap, was having my tea and watching frozen,lol!

fanshawe69
29-04-2014, 22:27
Cheers, that movie any good?

I've taken the battery out along with the air box. Now I can get to the clutch cable - what's your advice on removing it?

Released the 13mm socket on the gear linkage but can't get it to separate...?

I'm fried, can't remember what other snags I've hit!