PDA

View Full Version : Idle Valve Issue

Chris197F1
20-04-2014, 14:27
Hi guys, started a few jobs on the Willy 2 this weekend and one of them was to replace the Idle Speed Control Valve. When I bought the car I knew it idled for a minute or so and then cut out so I bought a replaced valve off here.

Fitted it yesterday and fired up the car and it sat on 3500 revs?? I checked for air leaks and reconnected the two hoses again and it still sat at 3500 revs.

Fitted the old one back on and it idled at 2000 and then dropped to around 1500 (and then cuts out).

Any suggestions on why my replacement valve is making it sit at 3500??

MatBrown
20-04-2014, 16:43
Sounds like it might be stuck open.
You should hear the flap move if you twist it backwards and forwards while in your hand.

Chris197F1
21-04-2014, 16:16
OK Mat cheers I will have a look :)

Wobba
21-04-2014, 19:47
It is stuck open.

Take it off, get some cotton buds and carb cleaner, clean it where you dont mind a load of crappy shite falling out of it and spray that badboy open. You can manually move the valve without doing harm.

Also...just to check for air leaks. Before you put it back on start the car, it will idle very high. DO NOT LEAVE ANY MOVEABLE OBJECTS NEAR ISCV HOSE OR THEY GET SUCKED IN LOL. With it running, place palm of hand over the hose end. Engine should die. If not, air leak elsewhere.

Refit.

Chris197F1
21-04-2014, 20:25
Thats some great info Wobba thanks that mate. I have actually all ready cleaned this valve before I fitted it but Ill do it again and check everything inside. If that doesnt fix it Ill try your second option :)

Wobba
21-04-2014, 22:05
Do the leak test anyway, just for lolz.

My car does not have a ISCV, but I remember this test when I had a normal setup. :)