PDA

View Full Version : Sandblasting Subframes + Powder Coating

AND2386
09-04-2014, 00:31
So I am refurbishing the Sub Frames and have come across the rear sub frame has got the torsion bars covered with a rubber sleeve all the way down the shafts.

Do I cut that off and leave them in place sand blast it and powder coat them in situ in side the sub frame, or do I have to take them out as well?

Any one done this before, any info would be great.

Thanks

Andrew

16v_paddy
09-04-2014, 01:07
Never tried doing the rear axle but to get the desired effect I would completely remove the torsion bars so that every nook & cranny gets properly blasted & coated tbh

AND2386
09-04-2014, 02:00
I thought this was going to be the way.

Thanks for that.

Have you ever dropped the fuel tank down before?

I am basically refurbishing the hole under body of the car and Upgrading with all Performance parts.

I havent seen any one do this before. Not alone clean up and refurbish the hole lot. Just wounded if any one has any pics and tips at all.

Thanks

pvsmark
09-04-2014, 08:56
I thought this was going to be the way.

Thanks for that.

Have you ever dropped the fuel tank down before?

I am basically refurbishing the hole under body of the car and Upgrading with all Performance parts.

I havent seen any one do this before. Not alone clean up and refurbish the hole lot. Just wounded if any one has any pics and tips at all.

Thanks

Have a look through my project mate as I removed everything from under the car to seal it and gave the rear beam a refurb, theres not many pics of the tank removal though but its not too hard to do just make sure it doesnt fall on you when you remove it. http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?41570-The-Midget

Coops
09-04-2014, 12:25
and be careful the bolts don't round or snap, can be a pain to sort depending on how they come off the body.

make sure the powdercoaters understand to not coat the inside of the splines where the torsion bars locate aswell, otherwise getting them back in could be.....interesting

AND2386
09-04-2014, 13:02
Thanks For that, I Have tried looking at the link of the pictures PVSMARK Set up as a link to look at but dose not seem to work?

Would still like to see them if possible. For some reason I can not seem to open the link on this site?

Quick Question, I have ruffly 10L of Fuel in the Tank left, If I disconnect the down Pipe. Would Dropping the Tank down still be OK with out having fuel all over me if I keep it level?

Thanks

Chris197F1
09-04-2014, 14:00
You can't see marks link as you need to be a paid member. Think it's only a fiver

pvsmark
09-04-2014, 14:02
Thanks For that, I Have tried looking at the link of the pictures PVSMARK Set up as a link to look at but dose not seem to work?

Would still like to see them if possible. For some reason I can not seem to open the link on this site?

Quick Question, I have ruffly 10L of Fuel in the Tank left, If I disconnect the down Pipe. Would Dropping the Tank down still be OK with out having fuel all over me if I keep it level?

Thanks

Ah your not a member which is why you cant view the thread. Mine had about 5 litres in it and it was fine, just make sure its level or drop the tank down with the sealed end first. If you click on this (http://s835.photobucket.com/user/pvsmark/library/) or this (http://s835.photobucket.com/user/pvsmark/library/Williams) you should see my pics but they arent in any order but may be of some use.

AND2386
10-04-2014, 13:35
I See, ya I am not a fall member, So I understand. Thanks for the Info though and Pictures.

Hopefully it will all go to plan.

Thanks Again

AND2386
23-04-2014, 13:21
Well I am up to the 3ed and 4th Torsion bars now and they are an absolute nightmare to get out. Looking at having to take them to a garage and then have them gunned out or machine pressed out. There's no way of manually shifting them out with out me braking some thing along the way lol. Thanks for the Pictures by the way I sore that Pvsmark has left these two bars in place and Painted around them. I will let you all know when have had a chance to speak to a near by garage that I know of and see what they say.

Coops
23-04-2014, 14:46
the second pair are antiroll bars in essence, leave them in and have them powdercoated in imo, you'll never need to remove or adjust them for anything really so its a folly attempting to remove them.

AND2386
24-04-2014, 02:36
LOL thanks Ben, Bit late though as I have just left the frame with a mate of mine at a Race tuning place to have them machined pressed out lol this is going to be fun sorting this one out.

Thanks for the info.

I suppose the frame will be sorted after this though and at least the rubber wont get broken up with the sand blasting.

Thanks any way, I let you know how it goes soon.