PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump woes

geesus
03-04-2014, 10:37
What is everyone running fuel pump wise nowadays?

Had the ITP248 (FSE i believe) fitted to mine for a while but never been impressed with them, first one i had got replaced due to 'low flow' through it, now the second one has decided to stop picking up fuel, makes all the noises but does nothing. Replaced it for the one that came with the car (standard i presume as was told it was holding it back when being mapped) and hey presto it starts every time.

So, any uprated alternatives that don't fail for fun?

car has 172 engine on ITB's with around 200bhp for info

northy
03-04-2014, 10:54
bloody hell - long time no hear.

Any updated pictures of the car? Glad you stilll have it.

You have the same pump as me - ive never had any problems with mine at all since fitting. The pump is rated to 500bhp so you carnt be maxing that out.

If the original pump is working then it sounds like the uprated one has gone faulty.

If your fed up of it - you could swap the tanks to the later williams style ones with a built in sender / fuel pump. Never seen a williams stuffer from starvation.

geesus
03-04-2014, 11:27
Indeed long time since i have posted on here, i check back every so often for a gander.

I've got some pics somewhere but nothing has changed on it really, i tend to just drive it and not bother taking pics. Got some video from some trackdays i will try and upload at some point.

Is your fuel pump noisy at all? like a whining noise from fuel pipes being under pressure?

I can't understand why a 'motorsport' fuel pump is causing me so many problems.

northy
03-04-2014, 12:58
haha - get them videos updated. Did message on your project thread on cs a while ago.

No its not loud that has alarmed me in anyway.

can you get a video updated of the pump working ?

geesus
03-04-2014, 14:18
yeh only just seen the reply on CS, i don't go on there much nowadays either, only to read general chat as it gives me a chuckle

I have a video of the noise somewhere, i am wondering if it's got something to do with the fuel return/breather hose, i think i might have blocked it off and it may be causing pressure build up inside the tank/pump? worth a try if nothing else.

northy
03-04-2014, 14:21
my breather is blocked off from memory, did you get the cup manual that was with the car??

geesus
03-04-2014, 14:25
no never got the manual with it, why is there something of use in there?

bass_direct
03-04-2014, 16:47
I currently run an ITP248, it's fine with 340bhp :) My filter isn't blocked off IIRC

geesus
03-04-2014, 16:53
just to clarify, i am not saying the pump cannot handle the demand, what i said was i have had to fit an old pump to it to get it running, and the old pump was removed as i was told during mapping it was holding it back.

I just wanted to know if there was an alternative to the FSE one as i have had nothing but problems and don't really want to fork out £90 for something i do not trust to work reliably