PDA

View Full Version : exhaust setup

owen87
29-03-2014, 14:54
right getting into spring time now and eager to get my recently purchased Williams 3 onto the road and ready for a trip to the ring in June.

Car came with after market back box (which is offensively loud), what looks like a standard center pipe, standard cat and standard manifold.

What i'm thinking of doing is the same as I done with my GTI-6, which was a standard back box stainless straight through pipe with no cat or silencers and the standard manifold. This resulted in quite a unique sound which was awesome, it was quite enough at normal speeds due to the large back box but when driven hard it was throaty and aggressive hoping the same will happen for the clio.

The back box i'm looking at is the one on Renaultpartsdirect, has anyone used this? I assume its not an original Renault part? Anyone got a similar set up to what im proposing?

Anyone got a standard back box for sale in decent condition.

cheers

owen87
01-04-2014, 18:07
anyone got any views on this before i take the plunge and buy tomorrow?

p4cks
01-04-2014, 18:47
Renault parts direct are OEM parts.

However you can get just as good pattern parts elsewhere, such as here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Klarius-RN653Q-Exhaust-Rear-Back-Box-Renault-Clio-B-C57-5-357-/251130948187?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Type%3AWilliams|Model%3AClio&hash=item3a78922a5b which I have on mine. It's identical to the OEM one.

16v_paddy
01-04-2014, 19:16
If you think the backbox you have is loud, no cat and no silencers is a very very bad idea, I'd be surprised if you make it as far as France before the noise will make you want to kill yourself :lol:

I've found that aftermarket back boxes on a standard system with a cat makes only a very slight increase in noise & if anything sound a bit nicer. I've had a similar setup as what you're proposing but that was only as a temporary desperate measure when the magnex middle silencer on mine destroyed itself, I'd only recommend that kind of setup to someone if I didn't like them very much :lol:

owen87
01-04-2014, 19:21
Thanks for the info.

Big difference in price between the two, £138 from RPD and £84 for the Klarius part.

Is the Klarius one not directed more toward the standard clio while the one on RPD is specifically for the Williams? I mean there obviously interchangeable but is one better than the other cause its for the Williams.

16v_paddy
01-04-2014, 19:42
but is one better than the other cause its for the Williams.

Hell no!! Try looking to see what pops up when you look for the same part for a valver, will be exactly the same part just without the stupid williams tax added to it :winkey:
The price difference is purely because RPD are a main dealer

owen87
01-04-2014, 20:52
Hell no!! Try looking to see what pops up when you look for the same part for a valver, will be exactly the same part just without the stupid williams tax added to it :winkey:
The price difference is purely because RPD are a main dealer

Fair enough, I expected that would be your response :-D.
Sometimes I forget these people are trying to make money ha.

I know what your saying about the back box only option being loud, I was assuming it would be ok as it worked out pretty good with my GTI-6. It was fairly civil in the noise department if i'm honest. In saying that you have experienced it first hand with the Williams so ill take your word for it :winkey:.

16v_paddy
01-04-2014, 21:00
Was on my valver but there's no difference, had it measured & was 115db so was a definite no no for track use as well :lol:

owen87
24-04-2014, 23:56
Does anyone know if its still possible to buy a powersprint Grp N exhaust?

owen87
25-04-2014, 16:04
Does anyone know if its still possible to buy a powersprint Grp N exhaust?

Just realised that supersprint and powersprint are two different things, anyway anyone ever have the below exhaust

http://www.shop4race.com/eur_en/cars/exhaust-system/powersprint-racing-ismetimo-sistemos-pagal-automobili/renault