PDA

View Full Version : Rentech in Portsmouth any good?

Ben Nichols 1979
18-03-2014, 19:31
I have just called rentech to ask for a price for fitting a new steering rack. He said he would only be interested if he could fit a new one. Fair enough I thought, doesn't want to fit an old knackered one and have me moaning. Then he said it would have to be genuine, when I told him Renault no longer do them but I can get a recon (exchange one) he said he'd only do it if he could source and supply it.

Does this sound right? Am I being overly suspicious? Sounds like I am about to get ripped off.

Chris197F1
18-03-2014, 20:19
To be honest its not uncommon for garages to only fit parts that they can supply. Get a price for the one you can supply and then get the price off him for the one he can supply

Ben Nichols 1979
18-03-2014, 20:32
Really, the guy I used to use never cared, shame he has bought a pub and given up. Maybe it's just my suspicious mind!

Will see see what he comes back with.

Ta

16v_paddy
18-03-2014, 21:13
It's normal practice, for many garages it's not worth the hassle of fitting customer supplied parts, plus if it goes wrong they'll quite rightly tell you to fcuk off, you'll get arsey & bad mouth them & will be bad for business in the long run.

If they supply & fit the parts, you'll have a warranty and if anything goes wrong it's their problem & they'll be happy to rectify it as it wont cost them anything and their parts supplier foots the bill

Ben Nichols 1979
18-03-2014, 21:21
Ok understood. Just got my back up as I am sure we will both but the same rack, from the same place locally but I'll have to pay a premium. Let's see if he charges retail as sure he'll get a trade price if he does no problem.

jamiecrookston83
18-03-2014, 21:42
Rentech have a good reputation, and i've heard nothing but good things about them

16v_paddy
18-03-2014, 22:18
Ok understood. Just got my back up as I am sure we will both but the same rack, from the same place locally but I'll have to pay a premium. Let's see if he charges retail as sure he'll get a trade price if he does no problem.

They're a business at the end of the day and that's how they make their money as labour costs alone are never enough to cover their costs. That's sort of the final nail in the coffin for them taking the job on or not, not worth their time or effort fitting customer supplied parts as there's no profit in it, they'll get the parts at trade and charge you retail for it

Ben Nichols 1979
18-03-2014, 22:30
As long as that's the case. Glad to hear they are good!

Thanks

Wobba
02-05-2014, 20:22
I've heard only good things about Mike @ Rentech.

northy
06-05-2014, 08:39
whos told you that they are obsolete?