PDA

View Full Version : Engine Removal

L3WLM
18-03-2014, 19:18
Hello All,

I'm after a guide to remove the williams engine. As going for a full respray.

Can anyone please help?

Cheers,
Andy

16v_paddy
18-03-2014, 22:12
I'm sure there's something in the guides section.

As it's for respray purposes I'd remove it from underneath, so remove the subframe - might require the bolts grinding off because of the captive nuts breaking as they usually do but well worth getting all new ones from renault as I'm assuming you'll be getting the subframe refreshed anyways - there's the 2 supports that attach to the body to undo and undo the 4 nuts & bolts that attach the ball joint to the wishbone. Obviously the downpipe and the dogbone need to be unbolted as well.

Can leave the wiring on the engine by digging out the ecu & leaving it on top of the engine, unplugging the 2 connectors on the relay box followed by undoing the earths that attach around the slam panel and gearbox. You'll be left with the engine swinging on the 2 remaining mounts, support the weight with a hoist, then undo the mounts followed by the suspension struts & it's free to drop.

Do it very slow & gentle, that way you'll be able to spot anything you've missed like the speedo cable, brake servo vacuum & water pipes etc. Once it's on the floor you can jack the car up a bit higher & slide the lump out. With a helper the car is light enough to pick up by hand at the front & wheel it about to wherever it needs to go.

Refitting is the reverse, lift it up from underneath & you're guaranteed to not scratch any of the fresh paint :winkey: