PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Owners? Too High a Mileage?

ant_8u
14-03-2014, 15:33
Just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding mileage, and number of previous owners

I'm going to view a car next Sunday. I've asked the seller all the right questions, I've seen pictures of it, I've done a HPI check and it's all good

But, I'm starting to get cold feet (a couple of days ago I was so excited)

My reason for my second thoughts are due to the mileage, and number of previous owners

Given the cars age, it'd say it's probably got a below average mileage and amount of owners, but I still feel a little concerned

The reason for my worries is I've always bought low mileage low owner cars
(usually 2-3 owners, with below 30k miles) and this car obviously has more than those figures

I know I shouldn't even think of these things, and should assess the car based on its overall condition, but I'm finding that hard to do today

Chris197F1
14-03-2014, 15:37
Whats the numbers mate?

Im very much like you, I buy my modern cars with few owenrs and under 40k is usually my spec however with a Williams I dont think it matters. These are 20 years old so they are going to have quite a few owners and quite a few miles on the clock.

Vandella
14-03-2014, 16:25
any below 100k is worth punting for..

as for owners... it could just be money situations as for people to pass these on.. unless there are major issue's and a reason for selling.. the amount of owners wouldn't bother me too much.. unlees its 20 or something..lol

jamiecrookston83
14-03-2014, 19:06
I bought mine on 79k and it's had a few owners. Makes no difference to me. Especially now as I've more or less stripped and rebuilt the car

16v_paddy
14-03-2014, 19:56
On 1 of these cars, mileage & owners simply aren't an issue. The rules of thumb that apply to buying newer cars simply don't apply to an old classic because those rules are for depreciation related things, whereas these cars are now appreciating in value all the time. As long as it's a good looking clean car that goes like it should there's no issue as it'll be obvious that it's been well looked after or restored to what it should be