PDA

View Full Version : Picture Request - Wheel Arch Repair Panels

ant_8u
13-03-2014, 13:39
Hi guys

I've been doing a bit of reading recently, and as I understand it, I can't buy Williams sills from anywhere, so I'd need to buy a set of 1.2 sills to be modified

I've also read I can't buy wheel arch repair panels either, but I can buy the whole rear quarter panels

I was hoping someone may be able to upload some pictures of the various panels, so I can see their shape?

(I think there are two different repair panels available for the 1.2 - one of them being bigger and including the fuel filler pressing, and the other being smaller and not including the fuel filler section)

I own a classic car that's currently at the bodyshop having some work done, so I thought I'd show them some pictures of the various repair panels available and see what they'd recommend

The shop that has my classic car is very proficient, and tend to fabricate an awful lot of stuff they do, so they might tell me not to waste my time with something that needs a lot of modifying

thanks in advance all

northy
13-03-2014, 16:39
best way to do it is to take a templete of the car as it stands now - all genuine panels then recreate to that.

You will be amazed how many body shops carnt correctly reshape what was there

16v_paddy
13-03-2014, 21:25
You can use the repair panels for the lower spec cars but what you need is someone skilled that can shape it correctly. Old school panel beaters/coachbuilders are what you need

Coops
14-03-2014, 09:58
as above really, a decent bodyshop should be able to re-create it easily. just don't use someone who quotes the cheapest as you'll likely end up with a right dogs dick of a job

Chris197F1
14-03-2014, 09:59
This is what I need to get sorted

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af325/chris_oldham5/Williams%202/PassengerArch_zps5d0d1263.jpg

Dean250
17-03-2014, 09:20
When did you buy a Williams Chris? that back arch doesn't look too bad but will require it all cutting out.

On the Williams I am restoring I was going to basically do what andreas did in his project thread with a standard panel, but not now I am going to leave it to the bodyshop because If I mess it up they have nothing to work from and it must look right!

Chris197F1
17-03-2014, 09:29
Paid for it yesterday Dean and Northy is going to trailer it to me next Sunday. Needs some work doing before it can be put back on the road :)

Dean250
17-03-2014, 09:41
Ah good stuff mate! how much did you give? any more pics....

I bought a minter so I could drive it now, but I am gradually working my way through the one I am restoring, did all the brake lines on sat.

sorry, back on topic.......

tay14
20-03-2014, 22:38
This is what I need to get sorted

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af325/chris_oldham5/Williams%202/PassengerArch_zps5d0d1263.jpg
My cars o/s arch is in the same condition as yours. I've bought a lower spec arch to weld in but iam worried about getting the flared arch right. I only going to use around 1" of the repair arch upto around half way a long the top of the wheel. Looking at some threads on here I plan on welding the arch in place at the top then follow the curve of the 1/4 panel round and tack a long as I go. Had any one go any pics of a Williams with a correct arch and a pic with one with a non flared lower spec arch? Cheers paul.