PDA

View Full Version : gear linkage/tie rod rubber boot

Vandella
07-03-2014, 09:44
Hi All,

Im replacing all the bits in and around the gearstick and linkage to get rid of the sloppyness.. just wondering how or whats the best way to get the rubber boot over the join where the linkage rod joins the tie rod.. will it just stretch enough for me to pull it back over or is there a trick to doing this?

Cheers all

Dan

cliokiz
07-03-2014, 14:10
Just stretch it over

I've just gone through the same process on my GTT, so far I have;

- Replaced the 'ball' at the base of the gearstick including the rubber bush
- Replaced the return spring
- Replaced the 'tie rod' or gear linkage in the bottom of the gearbox along with the nylon bush
- Replaced the bush that sits in the middle of the tie rod with one of Yanoo's replacement bushes

The gear stick is nice and tight now, gears feel very positive.

Vandella
07-03-2014, 14:48
- Replaced the 'ball' at the base of the gearstick including the rubber bush

Can these be got separately? or did u have to replace the whole stick? was this also from Yanoo, as i know he gets the stiffer ball and different housing but id like to keep mine as OE as poss...

- Replaced the bush that sits in the middle of the tie rod with one of Yanoo's replacement bushes

Have you got any pics of this? what does it replace?

The other two points, i have the parts for and ready to go..

Thanks

Vandella
07-03-2014, 18:47
I have from the below picture (from left to right), items 19, 15, 16 and 10(x2) (far right).. item 21 (spring) i had replaced not long ago and is fine.

From the pic below i have (again from left to right) items 11 and 13..
i know i need to do something about the rubber with the 'ball' in it on the gearstick, as it moves in the yellow-y coloured housing.. like the one on yanno's vids.. as said id like to keep it OE as poss.. so is there another option with this rather than changing the whole stick?

Thanks

Vandella
14-03-2014, 12:51
Hey all..

So, ive replaced the bits needed above.. and the selection is much much better.. however now I need to attack the rubber and ball part.. pictured below (image nicked from squeaks for sale thread...sorry!)

I know yanoo's solution to this will hopefully solve the remaining play.. my question is.. does the rubber and ball come off the gearstick? if so how?

can I get a standard ball and rubber to replace mine, or will I still have the same problem.. will I have to replace the whole gear stick? would there be any chance of the yellow/white plastic housing being damaged/worn to cause movement inside.. id like to keep it standard rather than have the plastic/metal housing from yanoo.. unless im fighting a losing battle and would be best to get yanoo's replacement.. featured here..

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?36760-Fixed-gearstick-ball-joint-housing

This is the last piece to this puzzle and id like to get it done so any help.. idea's would be greatly appreciated

Vandella
20-03-2014, 17:33
anyone please?