PDA

View Full Version : Changing strut top mounts?

tay14
09-02-2014, 14:34
As my cars due the mot at the end of the month I've had a quick look over the car this morning. The only thing I can wrong with the car is there there is a lot of play in the top mounts. If you pull up the bottom of the wheel the top bush moves up and down a lot.is it just a case of removing the strut and changing the bush's ?having looked online you can get a complete kit from rpd for around £25 a side.

diditno
09-02-2014, 15:33
Easy enough to fit. There will be a lot of movement when its jacked up with wheels off the deck, but if there is a lot of movement with wheels on the deck, change them. If not i wouldnt bother.

tay14
09-02-2014, 15:40
When the it goes for the mot wouldn't the car fail on the movement in the bush?theres abit of movement when the wheels are on the ground but a lot when the car is jacked up.

diditno
09-02-2014, 18:43
Id wait and see what the mot people say, if it was bad you would feel it through the steering. If they fail it then fix it, wont take long, just undo the strut from the top and hub at the bottom, undo the top nut, take the donut off and refit the new one and put it back on, no need to take the spring off. Simples

16v_paddy
09-02-2014, 19:17
Id wait and see what the mot people say, if it was bad you would feel it through the steering. If they fail it then fix it, wont take long, just undo the strut from the top and hub at the bottom, undo the top nut, take the donut off and refit the new one and put it back on, no need to take the spring off. Simples

The donut on the top is only 1 part of the top mount, to change the main part of the mount you do need to remove the spring. All the donut does is to stop the shock falling out of the hole, it's the rest of the mount and the bearing inside it that actually does anything