PDA

View Full Version : Front strut rebuild

Hoppo1979
05-01-2014, 11:52
Hi guys, I need to strip down my front suspension as I have a camber issue on the drivers side (tried everything, a bent strut is the last thing to try) and I have a snapped spring on the other side. I've got spring clamps etc but the Haynes manual says there are some collars that need replacing when you strip them down. Anyone done this job recently and can give me a steer? It looks quite straightforward, but I want to make sure I've got all the bits.

16v_paddy
05-01-2014, 12:39
Are you sure you've tried everything though, including hub, wishbone & subframe? I had a very similar issue a few years ago when I ran out of talent 1 evening :oops: Was a case of trial & error of replacing parts to finally get it all tracked up straight & true again.

I wouldn't bother trying to rebuild the strut purely because of how cheap a replacement is from RPD.

If you can get over to me during the week I can lend you the shocks off my williams to see if that cures the problem or not, will at least give you a better idea of what is or isn't at fault

Hoppo1979
05-01-2014, 13:30
Are you sure you've tried everything though, including hub, wishbone & subframe? I had a very similar issue a few years ago when I ran out of talent 1 evening :oops: Was a case of trial & error of replacing parts to finally get it all tracked up straight & true again.

I wouldn't bother trying to rebuild the strut purely because of how cheap a replacement is from RPD.

If you can get over to me during the week I can lend you the shocks off my williams to see if that cures the problem or not, will at least give you a better idea of what is or isn't at fault

Thanks for the offer mate. Cars still in the Bodyshop at present so I've not got it, should be back in a couple of weeks.

ive currently had replaced the shocker top bushes and bearing, wheel bearing, bottom arm. Spring is fine so it can only be a bent subframe (it's been off when gearbox was swapped and looked ok) or the shocker. I've bought the shocker already, so I will fit it. Failing that I've bought another subframe, so that will get shot blasted, powder coated and fitted at some point.

in any event I need to replace the drivers side spring as the end has snapped off and that's one of the MOT fails.

16v_paddy
05-01-2014, 13:39
It's possible that the stub axle or hub is bent, that was the very last thing I tried after my little off, it doesn't take much & it's almost impossible to tell if it's bent when looking at it

Hoppo1979
05-01-2014, 13:46
Interesting! I think a guys selling a complete strut/hub for £20 so might buy that too.