PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a problem

Mbell1985
24-12-2013, 22:18
Hi there! I'm new to forums so have no idea what I'm doing here but never mind here goes.
Ive owned my williams 3 for some time now and love the little beast!!!
trouble was I got done for drinkk driving 👎
since I got my licence back a few months ago my car has had a lot of little problems that I'm working my way down the list of.
The only problem I have been getting that I don't know any thing about is
every so often is when driving along the car sometimes coughs or hiccups.
Its just a quick misfire then the car is fine again.
This happens two or three times on an average journey
any ideas what this my be?
Replays would be greatly appreciated 👍

16v_paddy
24-12-2013, 23:19
There's a list of things that can cause that

Lambda sensor
coolant temperature sensor
Throttle position sensor
Poor earth connection somewhere

Mbell1985
25-12-2013, 15:32
Thanks! I will work my way through your list to try fix the problem

Mbell1985
18-02-2014, 21:16
Hello again!! Still having trouble with the little beast! I have changed the lambda sensor but still the same problems. Next I want to change the coolant temp sensor. Where is this? Every where I look states a different place on the engine. Some say its on the thermostat housing some say on the block? I can see two sensors on the thermostat housing is this the coolant temp sensor? Which one? I know it's not the fan switch in the rad even though I'm changing this at the same time for a lower temp one. Any advice would be helpful as the f7r is a complicated engine

16v_paddy
20-02-2014, 00:10
These are the 3 sensors on the thermostat housing, the 1 circled is the main 1 that causes the problems

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/2012/Dialogys%20pics/stathousing1_zpsa7b5b43a.png

The other 2 on there are for the dashboard display and the fan switch for when the ignition is off

16v_paddy
20-02-2014, 00:16
Don't get a low temp fan switch or thermostat as they're a waste of time. The fuelling is determined by the water temperature (from the sensor you're replacing) so there's no need to tamper with it. If the car is running too hot then it means there's a fault in the cooling system, best advice is to fix the fault instead of bodging it with different fan switches/thermostats :winkey:

Mbell1985
05-03-2014, 21:04
Cheers for the picture helped a lot!! I already have the colder fan temp sensor! Should I just not bother putting it on ?

16v_paddy
06-03-2014, 11:39
Personally I'd just throw it in the bin :lol: