PDA

View Full Version : New Member with Question about what Williams have we got ?

ericd2477
15-12-2013, 16:00
:)Hi everyone, my son has bought a Williams Clio . However not knowing the full history we think it is a Special created by a dealer in the past for Rally purposes and has since been used as a Future Classics Race car. To the naked eye it looks like a Clio Williams 1 but under the bonnet has had serious work done on the induction. Four separate barrels with chipped timing. We think the brakes are updated but apart from this not sure what else is standard. Anyway the question is can we identify for certain if the chassis is a Williams and then even if it isn't can we still use this forum as source of info ?

Vandella
15-12-2013, 17:20
there should be a Vin plate above the front offside headlight under the bonnet.. also on the offside suspension turret under the bonnet next to the top mount.. these two numbers should match... A williams has C57M in the code.. im sure the guys on here and me included will try and be as helpful as possible.. our questions to you will be.. how did you/your son come across the car.. and picture's please!!! enjoy in the meantime!

MattDilley
15-12-2013, 18:05
Get some pictures up, then we can point out anything not standard?

Coops
15-12-2013, 18:37
Williams 1 shouldn't have a sunroof either

ericd2477
15-12-2013, 18:52
there should be a Vin plate above the front offside headlight under the bonnet.. also on the offside suspension turret under the bonnet next to the top mount.. these two numbers should match... A williams has C57M in the code.. im sure the guys on here and me included will try and be as helpful as possible.. our questions to you will be.. how did you/your son come across the car.. and picture's please!!! enjoy in the meantime!

Will get some pics and will check Vin Numbers, we were at Oulton park Yesterday Track day. Very good except for one issue of Power steering fluid over filling the catch tank !!!!

northy
16-12-2013, 10:34
You can drill a bleed overflow into the cap and run a pipe down the back of the engine. A few have done it all ok on here.

Might be worth changing your fluide now aswell

ericd2477
16-12-2013, 10:46
We already have a catch tank but this overflowed and left a large patch of pink oil on the garage floor round the tyre. Not what you want on a track day. Is there a solution to reduce this flow of oil ?

16v_paddy
17-12-2013, 11:12
We already have a catch tank but this overflowed and left a large patch of pink oil on the garage floor round the tyre. Not what you want on a track day. Is there a solution to reduce this flow of oil ?

Yes, convert it to manual steering by getting rid of everything to do with the PAS system, decent weight saving too

ericd2477
17-12-2013, 22:36
Yes, convert it to manual steering by getting rid of everything to do with the PAS system, decent weight saving too
This sounds interesting do you know which rack would be a suitable replacement ?

16v_paddy
18-12-2013, 00:02
Any rack from a lower spec mk1 clio does the job, got mine from a 1.2, you also need the column to match as they're different lengths. You also need different brackets for the alternator and a shorter belt.
Do a search on here and clio16valver, quite a few people have done the conversion so there's quite a bit of decent information floating about

Coops
18-12-2013, 17:26
be wary though, the 1.2 rack is about 4.5 million turns lock to lock so can be a pain on hairpins, lol! I will have full manual conversion with a 1.2 rack (that was brand new when I fitted it) for sale soon

will include:

- rack
- column
- brackets for engine
- belt

16v_paddy
18-12-2013, 20:32
Oh yeah I forgot about that :oops: :lol: but the benefits outweigh that 1 little issue imo