PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings

waynos83
09-12-2013, 00:52
Hi guys,

I have been having problems with the passenger side wheel bearing.
Bought one from eBay which lasted 6 months and one from fast parts and it as lasted a grand total of 2 weeks! Is it worth buying original bearing (I always do buy original parts but have been skint the last few months!) or do u think something is wrong with that corner of the car?!
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

Wayne

Vandella
09-12-2013, 09:55
always worth getting genuine bearings.. ive had one set of 'cheaper' bearing's and they didn't last at all well.. had my genuine ones one for a while and no issues.. might be worth getting that corner checked though as you don't wanna spend money on genuine ones only find they are getting too stressed... are you driving fairly spiritedly? going over known bumpy roads, areas?

waynos83
09-12-2013, 20:51
always worth getting genuine bearings.. ive had one set of 'cheaper' bearing's and they didn't last at all well.. had my genuine ones one for a while and no issues.. might be worth getting that corner checked though as you don't wanna spend money on genuine ones only find they are getting too stressed... are you driving fairly spiritedly? going over known bumpy roads, areas?

Hi thank you so much for the reply. I suppose I am a sensible driver really, always look after my car and only have the odd day where I blast it! But now you mention it, there has been road works on the way to work and have change my route, which has a lot of speed bumps!
Thanks for the advice, I hope it's the extra stress caused by the bumos

cheers

wayne

will 2
09-12-2013, 23:29
what part of south wales you living

waynos83
09-12-2013, 23:48
what part of south wales you living

Hia mate, I live near Blackwood...which is about 10 miles away from Newport. U?

will 2
10-12-2013, 00:01
morriston, Swansea...... done a lot of work up and around blackwood

p4cks
10-12-2013, 12:07
Having had pattern wheel bearings on my W3 over the past two years I would strongly recommend OEM ones.

Sometimes you can get out of paying for OEM parts on these cars but there are a few things that only OEM parts do

16v_paddy
10-12-2013, 17:28
Similar experiences for me too so I only ever buy genuine bearings now

waynos83
11-12-2013, 00:10
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and your words of wisdom, I will definitely be using original bearings from now on.
Since posting this on here my clutch cable snapped yesterday, luckily I have a spare renault cable in the boot! I hear bad luck comes in 3s so will wait for the next problem! Lol!

Thanks again