PDA

View Full Version : What Tyres for the track

Flan
29-08-2005, 17:58
Hi all, Yet another Anoying post from me. lol

Im Gettin My Willy wheels very soon but need Tyres, Im hoping to go the nurburgring soon and will be doing a few track days aswell.

Can anyone recomend a good Tyre,(must be Road legal)

Dunlop sp 9000
Bridgestone so2's
Yoko A539
Proxis
Eagle F1

There's so much choice,

Also 195/50 or 185/55

Help

AAAAArgghhhhhhh :x

Dancliovalver
29-08-2005, 17:59
i like the proxis personally but never used em for track day

Martin
29-08-2005, 18:05
195/45s are best for track imo and I've used toyo proxes on a couple of trackdays and they've done good...did'nt last too well though.

Jason
30-08-2005, 10:26
Why don't you try Yokohama A048 or Toyo R888 :idea:

There DOT and perfect for trackdays :D

If you are on 16" or more check out the Yoko Parada as well

Swervin_Mervin
30-08-2005, 13:11
I can honestly say after doing Haynes that you should get Eagle F1s. The sidewalls are perfect in terms of stiffness and the tread can cope with the heat better than the Proxes and PE2s.

Although mine are a little bit shagged after the day, they're nowhere near as fooked as some of the other tyres and they didn't roll on to their sidewalls.

Zollo
30-08-2005, 13:42
I had F1s and they were ****ed after the sprint day. Must be something do to with your smooth driving style Mike. Unless you had special compound tyres. Aaaaah, that's it :wink:

Definately 195/50 rather than 185/55.

Jason
30-08-2005, 13:47
At how much presure were U working them?
Perhaps, that's what made the diference...
More presure=more life for the tire :wink:

Zollo
30-08-2005, 13:53
26 in the rear, 32 in the front. Roughly what I was told to put in.

Jason
30-08-2005, 14:45
IMHO that's kida small
36-34 is more tire saving :oops:

Mark_Ritchspeed
30-08-2005, 16:35
If you want a tyre that will do everything then stick to F1's. The more tyres I try, the more convinced I am that F1's are simply the best tyre available for the Clio.

At the end of the day though, a good track tyre does not make a good road tyre. Once you start going to semi-slicks and cut slicks they will tramline like mad on the road and offer no grip in damp and wet conditions.

My 205/45/15 Proxie T1R's only offered any grip for the very first session on track and never cooled down enough to work for the rest of the day.

Zollo
30-08-2005, 17:03
So running at 32/24 was perhaps a bit extreme then Mark, as I thought the idea was to run them lower to build up heat quicker?

GazTwo
30-08-2005, 20:42
Thought it was a case of letting some pressure out after they have warmed up as the heat will have raised the pressure????

C'mon Mark sort it.... :wink:

GazTwo
30-08-2005, 20:44
I can honestly say after doing Haynes that you should get Eagle F1s. The sidewalls are perfect in terms of stiffness and the tread can cope with the heat better than the Proxes and PE2s.

Although mine are a little bit shagged after the day, they're nowhere near as fooked as some of the other tyres and they didn't roll on to their sidewalls.

Errrmmmm.....they were on there sidewalls from where I was stood... 8)

GazTwo
30-08-2005, 20:52
If you want a tyre that will do everything then stick to F1's. The more tyres I try, the more convinced I am that F1's are simply the best tyre available for the Clio.

At the end of the day though, a good track tyre does not make a good road tyre. Once you start going to semi-slicks and cut slicks they will tramline like mad on the road and offer no grip in damp and wet conditions.

My 205/45/15 Proxie T1R's only offered any grip for the very first session on track and never cooled down enough to work for the rest of the day.

So F1's for track use....what size is best on a 15" wheel????

Mark_Ritchspeed
30-08-2005, 21:16
Unfortunately, no road tyre will be that good for track use as they are ALL too soft on the sidewall. The stiffer the sidewall and flatter the tread of the tyre gets, the more they will aquaplane in the wet and tramline in the dry.

If you cant afford proper track tyres which are in general around £100 each upwards and last 5mins. A good compromise for track use maybe something like a 195/45 Pirelli P6000 or some of the Nankgangs have very stiff sidewalls. You really need to find a hard compound tyre which may not offer massive initial grip, but will put up with more sustained abuse without overheating.

I managed 1 decent run with my Proxies and they didnt recover from it all day, even with @20-25 mins cooling down between sessions.

I may try and get some trick rubber over from Japan which isnt available in Europe. They are road tyres, but come with very stiff sidewalls and should be extremely good on track.

Mark_Ritchspeed
30-08-2005, 21:18
Oh, and looking at the dvd footage we really need to get some adjustable negative camber into these Willies to make best use of whatever tyres we go for.

Swervin_Mervin
30-08-2005, 22:48

Errrmmmm.....they were on there sidewalls from where I was stood... 8)

:P

If you look at Rob's PE2s though there's only the bottom half of Michelin that's still there, whereas the F1s still have all their writing on. :?

Weird. Zollo, I was running 31/29 and that was the cold temps in the morning.

Didn't summeh have F1s as well? Wonder what his tyres were like.

summeh
02-09-2005, 16:19
i was running f1's... started the day with 2 good tyres on the back, and 2 "just legal" on the front. At lunch time i swapped um over to keep them all legal.

i now need to replace the "just legal" ones cuz they are completely shagged... and the other 2 that ended up on the front took a real beating, if you look at the tread pattern about half of it is missing from the outside edge.

i was running 32 front, 26 rear.

i'm going to try and find something else suitable to run at the donington day that will take the abuse a bit better than the f1's.