PDA

View Full Version : Help!! MOT Flop, Welding Required!

Hoppo1979
24-10-2013, 08:52
Morning, Car flopped MOT on rust, the previous MOT guy must have been blind as it didnt have a single advisory. Anyways the project continues. I have found an online site (carpanels4u) that stocks sills so I should be ok here. couple of questions though;

1) Anyone know a good but realistic priced welder in Chesterfield/Sheffield/Derby? I want the job done well, Im am happy to pay good money for a good job.
2) whilst the rear arches look OK I have found one in stock online at this place, but I am sure the Willy rear arches are more flaired. Is this right?

Cheers in advance of any replys. Incidentally the only mechanical failure was a snapped front spring and a seized brake pressure regulator! Typical!!

lkcio86
24-10-2013, 09:26
Williams arches are more flared and are unobtainable as a repair panel although i think you can buy a full rear quarter still which are quite pricey, a good body technician will be able to modify the narrower arches to fit the williams without too much hassle, the sills will also need modifying too but again should be no real headache for a professional

Hoppo1979
24-10-2013, 09:39
Cheers for the quick reply, I 98% knew the rear arches were different, but thought the sills would be the same? I wasnt intending on blowing my wallet this quick as we have just moved house, and have a 2 1/2 year old that wants a good Christmas! Priorities........The Williams must get sorted! lol!

I work for Pendragon (Evans Halshaw parent) so can get access to the full Renault parts catalogue at cost plus 10%, so I am now a regular face at Evans Halshaw Renault in Sheffield! If the full rear arches are available, and less than £200 each with my discount I may plump for them, there is no point having to get this work done twice. This car will be a show piece when I have done (Any I will be skint!)

MattDilley
24-10-2013, 12:40
When I enquired at renault the price was around £400 for a rear panel?

andreas395
24-10-2013, 14:30
The sills are different to mate they flair out at the the back so needs to be modified I'm afraid

andreas395
24-10-2013, 14:33
Here is my project will give you an idea
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?42372-My-Williams-1-and-2-restoration-project/page3

Vandella
24-10-2013, 19:33
i inquired about all rear panels from the smallest to the largest body piece from Renault and was told/shown that nothing was available even from France.. would it be a possibility that its a case of ringing different Renault's around the country to check stock? long shot i know.. lol have even tried looking on french website's although my french and Google translate together seem to ask/search some weird shiz..

BTW... to whom this may concern.. i cant see/don't have privileges to see andreas395's thread, can u assist please? :)

Chris197F1
24-10-2013, 22:46
could be because you are a forum user Vandella, maybe your membership has run out

talkingfish
27-10-2013, 14:12
Try LW Smart Repairs in Alfreton, Leigh Watson there has done a number of Williams restorations / work on various cars and does a quality job!

Coops
27-10-2013, 19:07
as above, I use leigh and he's cracking, but get your wallet ready

Hoppo1979
28-10-2013, 09:45
as above, I use leigh and he's cracking, but get your wallet ready

Ill check him out mate, although I have a chap called Glyn who worked for ADR in CHesterfield for 10 years, won National Auto Painter of the year award (or something like that) used to have a 16v, so knows how to mod a standard sill etc and sounds proper clued up, his shop is in Bolsover. Someones had a pop (badly) at fixing rear arches, but I am looking at 2 sills, some patchwork underneath, a patch under a wheel arch, then both sides, bonnet and bootlid repainting. Whats that going to cost me, £1,500?

Vandella
28-10-2013, 11:08
id be over the moon to get that for 1500... dont now anyone down this way who would know exactly what they're doing with a mk 1 clio or 16v/williams body.. obviously best to find someone who's had previous experience.. i have a body shop and garages few hundred yards down the road from me.. they deal mainly with lotus's as there a ex lotus mechanic, the other ex lotus body shop employee.. have some nice cars down there.. they have been doin an old gt40 recently..sounds breathtaking hearing it come up the road full chat.. but i hate to guess how much they would charge the work that Hoppo1979 has listed. the guy in there and another guy also build kit cars they have one of two or three probes in the country/possibly world from a clockwork orange in there..this one is green tho..they do my mechanical bits and arnt too bad for that side.. not sure why im telling you all this.. but the longer i have the car the more ill end up spending so it may be nice to know of any reputable body shops in the south (preferably south east)...

Good luck with yours though mate, keep us updated with ur quotes, before and during and after pics.. always nice to the work that goes in!

Hoppo1979
28-10-2013, 18:18
id be over the moon to get that for 1500... dont now anyone down this way who would know exactly what they're doing with a mk 1 clio or 16v/williams body.. obviously best to find someone who's had previous experience.. i have a body shop and garages few hundred yards down the road from me.. they deal mainly with lotus's as there a ex lotus mechanic, the other ex lotus body shop employee.. have some nice cars down there.. they have been doin an old gt40 recently..sounds breathtaking hearing it come up the road full chat.. but i hate to guess how much they would charge the work that Hoppo1979 has listed. the guy in there and another guy also build kit cars they have one of two or three probes in the country/possibly world from a clockwork orange in there..this one is green tho..they do my mechanical bits and arnt too bad for that side.. not sure why im telling you all this.. but the longer i have the car the more ill end up spending so it may be nice to know of any reputable body shops in the south (preferably south east)...

Good luck with yours though mate, keep us updated with ur quotes, before and during and after pics.. always nice to the work that goes in!

Glyn has been to look at it. Rear arch repairs OK and can be made good, so not in need of anything major. weld on 2 new complete sills plus patching and fully undersealing what needs doing. Strip and repaint all car except roof, windscreen out, everything properly stripped back. £1,000 cash, I supply the 2 sills.

He seems to know his apples, seems a top bloke. Granted the doors arent going to be stripped totally, but that to me is a minor element. I am dropping the car off tomorrow, he is keeping it a month. I will ask him to take a few pictures to whet your appetite along the way.

Hoppo1979
09-11-2013, 11:56
Quick update! Jobs going very well. Only got a couple of pics, but I'll upload more as I go along.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/image_zps0c339c93.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/Hoppo1979/media/image_zps0c339c93.jpg.html)

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/image_zps0c339c93.jpg (http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/Hoppo1979/media/image_zps0c339c93.jpg.html)

Hoppo1979
12-12-2013, 11:52
Quick update on the rebuild. Welding is nearly completed and its looking fantastic! I have also had the windscreen out, and the rust on the A Pillars ground out. Its worth noting that a windscreen from a scrapyard was £40, but I got a brand new one for £54 inc VAT from National Windscreens in Chesterfield! Bargain! I have also sourced a brand new jacking point from Renault (thanks to the guys that gave me the part numbers) and 2 used but rust free doors off a 1.2 RN 3 door. So my wallets taking a pasting but the result should be stunning!

Glyn is taking plenty of pics and once the car is back and I have an opinion on the finished product I will give you guys some finished pics and update you again.

Chris197F1
12-12-2013, 12:17
Cant wait to see the pics mate!

p4cks
12-12-2013, 12:31
Mine is away having similar work done ready for its new owner. I'll be gutted to be handing it over in such good nick!

northy
16-12-2013, 10:39
would be intrested to see the metal work behind that new sill.

Dont forget the sill isnt dead straight on a williams like it is on the 1.2 and needs rebending to suit.

Coops
16-12-2013, 16:34
nice progress, I will be coming to nosey over this job once complete, always good to have other bodyshop options if needed :)

Hoppo1979
12-01-2014, 10:21
Ok guys quick progress update. The car had been previously painted badly. We have been finding fibreglass everywhere and some of the bodged jobs found are absolutely shocking. On the old sill they had welded a plate over filler, and they've patched rust holes with fibreglass! On the boot lid yesterday we found filler over rust, then blown over with stonechip!

anyways Glyn has attempted to paint twice, and the old paint has reacted with the new making a right mess. Paint rep viewed it and advised us to strip back, and seal with a water based primer which has now been done. I spent all day helping to sand and prep the car and it will be painted next week.

Hoppo1979
12-01-2014, 10:27
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/789ed5db6622724aa223beed94b4c803_zps1c42e229.jpg

bonnet primed and ready for paint!

Vandella
12-01-2014, 19:38
that's a shame mate, at least now u know it'll be how it should be, and solid.. looking forward to some more pics and good news!

northy
23-01-2014, 09:47
any more pictures?

Hoppo1979
23-01-2014, 22:40
any more pictures?

Hi Richard, not yet. We have had to switch to water based paint as the 2 pack solvent based caused untold issues. I should have the car back in the next couple of weeks and will post some very detailed pics and an honest appraisal. So far I am very impressed with Glynns welding, he has rebuilt the inner sills from scratch, progress has been slow but it's also cheap so I'd rather him take his time and ensure the jobs right.

the cars like Triggers Broom (RIP) I've so far sourced both doors and a tailgate, all rust free from Motorhog in a Doncaster. Plus I'm about £500 into genuine new parts, like B pillar trims, new tailgate badges, sill trims, new clips and new arch liners. I figured I'd May as well do the job properly.

northy
24-01-2014, 09:54
Only way to do it.

Is he rust proofing it all before you get it back?

Hoppo1979
24-01-2014, 20:01
Only way to do it.

Is he rust proofing it all before you get it back?

Yes, fully schultzing underside and arches, rebuilding lips on inner front arches, waxoyl into new panels. I recon with all new parts and work I'm into £2,500 so far.

mack1
28-01-2014, 13:59
Quick update! Jobs going very well. Only got a couple of pics, but I'll upload more as I go along.

Hi chaps newbie on here but have had my Williams 2 for about 12years until the dreaded rust worm confided it to the garage as a hobby. I've plated the rear chassis and have had to modify a mk1 standard rear arch to the wider arch on the willy. Next stage will be the sills. What did your bodywork guy do to the sills. Did he use a standard sill and modify. Do you have any more photos closer up. Any information to make it easier would be grateful. I've used rustoleum primer, hammerite under body seal with chassis black paint to seal the bottom of the car and chassis rails. This has given a lovely thick coat and should be rust proof. Good work these cars are worth saving. ;-)

Hoppo1979
28-01-2014, 16:26
Hi chaps newbie on here but have had my Williams 2 for about 12years until the dreaded rust worm confided it to the garage as a hobby. I've plated the rear chassis and have had to modify a mk1 standard rear arch to the wider arch on the willy. Next stage will be the sills. What did your bodywork guy do to the sills. Did he use a standard sill and modify. Do you have any more photos closer up. Any information to make it easier would be grateful. I've used rustoleum primer, hammerite under body seal with chassis black paint to seal the bottom of the car and chassis rails. This has given a lovely thick coat and should be rust proof. Good work these cars are worth saving. ;-)

Hi Mack1, he has modified a standard sill, to be honest I dont think the flair achieved is perfect, but I cant tell so it will suffice. Andreas on here has a great pic by pic weld up and thread to have a look at, theres a link earlier in this thread I think. I totally agree these cars are fast becoming a cult classic, and the fact they are so quick to rust means they are getting broken rather than repaired as its either too costly or too badly corroded to save. Good lucking getting yours on the road.

Chris197F1
28-01-2014, 16:58
I totally agree with you Hoppo, im seeing more and more being sold for spares. When I first started looking for a Williams around a year ago there were maybe 10 or so on ebay to choose from but recently it more like 2-3. Im worried that once im finally in a position to buy there will be none left lol

mack1
28-01-2014, 20:01
Hi Mack1, he has modified a standard sill, to be honest I dont think the flair achieved is perfect, but I cant tell so it will suffice. Andreas on here has a great pic by pic weld up and thread to have a look at, theres a link earlier in this thread I think. I totally agree these cars are fast becoming a cult classic, and the fact they are so quick to rust means they are getting broken rather than repaired as its either too costly or too badly corroded to save. Good lucking getting yours on the road.
Don't think I'm one of the privileged:-(:tongue3:won't let me on his posts . Unfortunately I'm trying to get parts for my car from a scrap car. Anyway just means my car will go up in value once rebuilt:-D. These cars are such a great drive they need saving

mack1
28-01-2014, 20:04
I totally agree with you Hoppo, im seeing more and more being sold for spares. When I first started looking for a Williams around a year ago there were maybe 10 or so on ebay to choose from but recently it more like 2-3. Im worried that once im finally in a position to buy there will be none left lol

Buy know then:poke::poke:

Chris197F1
28-01-2014, 20:40
give me some money then lol

mack1
28-01-2014, 21:47
give me some money then lol

P/X Fiesta:winkey:

Hoppo1979
29-01-2014, 10:55
One word of advice I would give (this is my 3rd project car and so far the first mistake) I bought mine for £1,500 thinking a grands worth of fettling would get it nice. So far I am around £3,000 into work on it (with the welding and respray) so I think it will stand me at £4,500. I am buying the majority of parts from Renault and I dont scrimp so I have bought the sill plates (£75 each!) A pillar trims, new badges etc. I bought 2 donor doors and tailgate off a scrapped 1.2RN as they're rust free. There was a WIlliams 3 that was beautiful that changed hands for around £3,500 I think.

If you want a project, buyer beware! Ive been in the motor industry all my life and I got stung. Look underneath the car. What looks OK on the surface may be horrendous underneath. Mine had been patched up with fibreglass and filler!!!

Coops
29-01-2014, 11:18
getting there chap though it seems, is Glyn likely to want to take on another tho with all the trouble with yours ;) lol!

also, where did you get the outer sills from and are they gen ren or pattern ones? didn't think you could get valver/Williams sills anymore was all and most but 1.2 or similar and have them modded to fit

Chris197F1
29-01-2014, 11:46
Hoppo thanks for the advice, when I first took interest in getting a Clio I was looking around £1500 but since reading a few horror stories and not having much mechanical knowledge myself I have now thought its best if I buy one 'ready made' so to speak lol

Hoppo1979
29-01-2014, 12:55
getting there chap though it seems, is Glyn likely to want to take on another tho with all the trouble with yours ;) lol!

also, where did you get the outer sills from and are they gen ren or pattern ones? didn't think you could get valver/Williams sills anymore was all and most but 1.2 or similar and have them modded to fit

He might do Coops! They are pattern parts from carz2.co.uk Glynn said they were really good quality. He has modded them as they were slightly too long, then fully fabricated new inner sills too. He is a good guy, just a bit slow as he needs to do the odd smaller job to keep the cash flowing I think, and the paint reacting certainly wasnt his fault, things have painted fine with the change to water based paint. I'm up there this weekend to help with the rebuild so I should have it back shortly and I will post up pics, then onto the mechanicals!

mack1
29-01-2014, 22:33
Hoppo thanks for the advice, when I first took interest in getting a Clio I was looking around £1500 but since reading a few horror stories and not having much mechanical knowledge myself I have now thought its best if I buy one 'ready made' so to speak lol

The thing about the Williams is it is getting to the age where most of them need work or have already had bodywork done. So when you go and check these cars out, you need to go with your eyes wide open. Do your research Take a magnet, a couple of ramps and if you're unsure take somebody who knows what to look out for. Sorry if that sounds like I'm teaching you to suck eggs. But it's worth trying to find a good one as they are a pleasure to own and drive. Good luck:-D

Coops
30-01-2014, 10:28
He might do Coops! They are pattern parts from carz2.co.uk Glynn said they were really good quality. He has modded them as they were slightly too long, then fully fabricated new inner sills too. He is a good guy, just a bit slow as he needs to do the odd smaller job to keep the cash flowing I think, and the paint reacting certainly wasnt his fault, things have painted fine with the change to water based paint. I'm up there this weekend to help with the rebuild so I should have it back shortly and I will post up pics, then onto the mechanicals!

Cheers chap, did he source the panels for you then? I guess they are normal 3 door ones, the valver/Williams shells are slightly shorter, but modding to fit is fine.

either way the turbo will need inner sills, outer ones and front jacking points (I have already bought these on your recommendation from Renault :) )

Hoppo1979
31-01-2014, 10:40
Cheers chap, did he source the panels for you then? I guess they are normal 3 door ones, the valver/Williams shells are slightly shorter, but modding to fit is fine.

either way the turbo will need inner sills, outer ones and front jacking points (I have already bought these on your recommendation from Renault :) )

No mate I bought the sills. They were next to nothing, about £30 delivered from memory! Im there tomorrow buffing the paintwork prior to the rebuild so ill ask him if he is brave enough, although price might go up as theres more work than he initially thought im guessing. I'm giving him £1,500 including a full respray, asn having seen what he has had to do to it I think thats very cheap. I think £2k is more like it!

northy
31-01-2014, 15:45
any more pictures

Hoppo1979
01-02-2014, 16:47
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/488cf2ba821c20d192324c85c7ce5ac4_zps40adc3c5.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/e73d152b5860b0b3dc85463f7f955a7e_zpsc9586d1e.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/80da1e2327067fca1bfa8184c977b487_zpsefe5438b.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/56545675dc5328e83717222bb67e11d6_zps9336bdfa.jpg

Hoppo1979
01-02-2014, 16:51
Ok guys the Williams is starting to take shape nicely. All interior except front seats are now in situ, front inner wings re-fabricated and finished in Shultz stonechip. Windscreen will be going back in next week together with the doors and the tailgate rebuild.

All paint needs hand hand finishing and buffing, then I'm onto the mechanicals.

Hoppo1979
01-02-2014, 20:56
Guys these pics are gonna be a little backwards, Glynn has downloaded me the pics, I'll load them on shortly. You will see the state of the inner sills and the work he has done rebuilding things.

Hoppo1979
01-02-2014, 21:02
Inner sills missing!

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/9089d6dea7f43f088835c5a339cdedd3_zpse45d794a.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/cb0db8781a8838b1148c5adac2226eba_zps45dc532a.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/22ef3330f878af351ccf7f354a51276f_zpsf902b653.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/5a3f20f4e589649ed9c64354c4a88535_zpsb2e02f88.jpg

Missing inner arch front

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/0900f65ea4687417f3ced31607e71b50_zpsa212febf.jpg

hole under rear arch rot cut out

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/9addc80788b7b104bd5582085d73a5c4_zpsba39aa84.jpg

what was left of drivers front jacking point

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/af36de984187c3aa1eaaa6ce5ded47ad_zps892c71bd.jpg

Outer sill going on.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/58752e705bf00fb201dd6e6462b75de2_zpsf0d97cdc.jpg

Hoppo1979
01-02-2014, 21:12
I'll put more pics up when I get it back, I'm down the smoke next weekend so it might be a couple of weeks. Make your own decisions but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Glynn. He is a new start up business so I've had to pay him bits up front, but he is trustworthy, competent and happy to photograph the project and get you involved if you wish.

Coops
01-02-2014, 23:52
epic, i'm so there when the turbo needs its work doing later this year :)

mack1
04-02-2014, 23:09
Holy:censored: good work. That looks a big job and exactly what I might have to do to my car:shock::helpsmile:

northy
05-02-2014, 11:12
any more pictures of the new jacking point fitted?

Hoppo1979
06-02-2014, 10:06
any more pictures of the new jacking point fitted?

Will have soon, cars ready bar the front seats going in and the drivers side door being built up. Will upload ASAP but might be a few days.

northy
06-02-2014, 10:24
love a picture - take lots for me

Hoppo1979
10-02-2014, 16:42
Quick update, cars back. It was chucking it down on Sunday morning and has no windscreen so it got put straight in the garage. In between heavy showers I pulled it outside to fit the B Pillar stickers and have a bit of a look. Theres some bit on the paint I need to flat and machine but overall I am very happy. Pics ASAP.

Hoppo1979
16-02-2014, 16:08
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/efede286975ee53405feddc9855d273a_zpse90a956c.jpg

overall I'm very happy, new windscreen in this morning, given it a good clean inside. As the paint has gassed off its sunk in places, it's getting another full machine polish with the 3M system and it should look stunning. I've got a long weekend booked in next weekend to sort the front suspension (you'll spot too much camber still on front wheel) replace NS abs ring, free off or change rear brake compensator, replace snapped spring on NSF shocker. Then its MOT again.

Hoppo1979
16-02-2014, 16:17
I've rebuilt the front suspension from a job lot I've bought online. I've wire wheeled the shocker and painted it matte black to freshen it up, new OEM spring, top mounts and bearing. So the snapped spring on the passenger side should be easy.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/079abb87c35cab7a8a0ce4dc94187b37_zps33b961b6.jpg

northy
17-02-2014, 13:50
now for some good pictures of these arches and sills please

mack1
17-02-2014, 14:51
That looks really good=D>. How much did the bodywork and paint set you back for all the work. I must admit I would love to see some more pics if possible. Where did you get your black stickers and williams stickers from.
It's great to see another Williams saved :grin:

Linus
17-02-2014, 15:57
nice seeing that the outcome where so nice!

Hoppo1979
17-02-2014, 17:39
All stickers from Renault Mack1. Not cheap but the only option. Just to let you know I have sourced outer door seals (£77 for a pair) and one remaining roof strip from France (£56).

All in the actual work has cost me £1550 but I have been buying new parts from Renault and I also sourced all 3 doors from a donor car as they were rust free so the bills probably broke £2k. I spent a couple of hours cleaning the interior yesterday and re-acquanted myself with the car as I had fallen out of love with it!

Northy, I will picture sills and underneath when my Elf sticker is available.:winkey:

northy
17-02-2014, 19:28
haha eye ok then!

mack1
17-02-2014, 22:37
That looks really good=D>. How much did the bodywork and paint set you back for all the work. I must admit I would love to see some more pics if possible. Where did you get your black stickers and williams stickers from.
It's great to see another Williams saved :grin:

Seeing your car has made me realise I should get my Arse into gear and get mine finished. Although I've got a house move soon and really need to get it back on its wheels. Must save up for paint job. I would also like to rebuild the engine. Ah well makes a great hobby:mechanic:

Hoppo1979
18-02-2014, 00:13
Seeing your car has made me realise I should get my Arse into gear and get mine finished. Although I've got a house move soon and really need to get it back on its wheels. Must save up for paint job. I would also like to rebuild the engine. Ah well makes a great hobby:mechanic:

The thing I worry about is with less than 120 left in uk (Willy 3) and parts drying up at a renault the job needs doing now or you risk compromising and spending more as the bits get rare! Price of these cars set to double in a few years in my opinion.

Anyway I'll get some more pics up ASAP. I couldn't resist a stab at correcting paint on the tailgate with the 3M kit I bought, it's like a glass finish!! Roll on Friday!!!!

Coops
18-02-2014, 11:29
respray inc welding and new panels and parts for 2k is an absolute bargain is the workmanship is upto scratch

I frankly cant wait to see it in the flesh and get the turbo booked in with same bloke for sills :)

Hoppo1979
21-02-2014, 08:44
Right, bodywork finishing to do today. I've already done the tailgate and it's come up like glass!

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/971b6bc393a97ca7ce49139a4acb29f8_zps5430fcd7.jpg

Hoppo1979
21-02-2014, 16:57
Rains stopped play so a quick update. I'm thrilled with the finish I'm achieving with the 3M kit. Worth every penny! Whole car has been wet sanded with 2000 grit wet and dry, followed by a 2 stage machine polish, the finish is like glass.

wet sanding in sections

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/08ccaf38bd55b706bfc0c3944689ed56_zpscbd25bc9.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/51764be893a6e080168e2e2edbce3f94_zpsfc4a735f.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/bab00be80ec1610a80559524cb7de72e_zps57773df4.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/5e192377c7a2f9106813fa4285eea211_zps9fd1f5cb.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/c0e19fd40a88f52446d6bba923587a3b_zps3dd09ec2.jpg

1st sill cover on
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/5d0071b3e5376ce468c508d2726537f4_zps7009d288.jpg

Hoppo1979
21-02-2014, 17:01
Next stage is to snow foam entire car and clean crevices with APC agitated with a brush. Then rinse, clean with Zymol auto bathe, then pat dry and a layer of concourse wax. Stickers on, then onto mechanicals.

Chris197F1
21-02-2014, 17:29
Very nice fella! Never had the balls to wet sand so I applaud you ha ha. Finish looks fantastic and the wax will only make it look better. :clap:

Hoppo1979
21-02-2014, 18:55
Few more pics!
Detailing new badges to get crud out

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/00f465181ca4bc37157747c32425ac46_zps2da05617.jpg
Snow foamed!

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/aa515cfc72aaac37588c5b3a46393264_zps25ab495f.jpg

Towel dry with uber drying towel (a must have!)

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/28083eb5e2a814b9ebed155bf46409b6_zpse81c3af0.jpg

stickers measured and applied
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/53a0304db8de3c74fa73a732c7f2f6a9_zps172a2377.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/010227755bad0067a44b86e4187887dc_zps91588add.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/b4c17ae4d2688f790ea022a43d65e934_zps4719de82.jpg

Linus
21-02-2014, 19:07
sooooo... when are you going sweden, mine needs a rub ;)

Hoppo1979
21-02-2014, 20:30
sooooo... when are you going sweden, mine needs a rub ;)

ive never been to Sweden Linus but would love to!

im fortunate that in my mid teens I was a trainee at a BMW dealer and watched and learned how to machine polish and flat inclusions out of paint. I always remember having to machine polish an old parts van that was going to auction.

its a tedious and slow process but the results are stunning!

16v_paddy
21-02-2014, 20:57
Wanna do my williams when it's finished? Saves me searching high & low for a local enough detailing freak to come & do it :lol:

Hoppo1979
22-02-2014, 10:09
Wanna do my williams when it's finished? Saves me searching high & low for a local enough detailing freak to come & do it :lol:

Can do mate. Let me know what you want to achieve with it and we can discuss price (nothing daft just to cover my time and products) I only do it as a hobby but my first ever job was valeting BMWs at 16 so cleaning cars is in my DNA unfortunately!

mack1
22-02-2014, 12:50
Can do mate. Let me know what you want to achieve with it and we can discuss price (nothing daft just to cover my time and products) I only do it as a hobby but my first ever job was valeting BMWs at 16 so cleaning cars is in my DNA unfortunately!

That finish is amazing . I might give you a call if I ever get mine finished. Only problem I have would be scared of driving the thing in case of any dents or scratches. Can you get 3d film to go on the front of clio's might be a worthy investment.

16v_paddy
22-02-2014, 19:35

Oh I have no issues paying decent money as I understand what's involved, the bonus is that you're local :lol:

I'm going for absolute immaculateness (is that even a word? :???:) concours standard so I can sell it for as much as possible

Hoppo1979
22-02-2014, 20:26
A mechanical update; all front suspension has been rebuilt. The passenger side was a doddle, the drivers side (the one running too much camber) was a bitch and I ended up having to smash the top strut mount off to remove the shocker. Everything's been freshened up with a little paint and new OEM discs and Pagid pads. Monday I'm tackling the polished lip on the rims and trying to free off the rear brake compensator, then its MOT time. I've got a bit of a snag list going but won't bore you with that, it's just minor detail.

New ABS ring onto driveshaft
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/41a42a3b2f3e00ee4df8139c7936972a_zps5fc8b75b.jpg

passenger side built back up and looking fresh.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/ec3bd8342b3abc17f6c8bb8e5e444463_zps2fbc796c.jpg

knackered bent drivers side shocker. Replaced with OEM part. New disc, pads and freshen up as per passenger side.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/e2315950c998a51ae808fee60727dd33_zps76c4bf98.jpg

the San Miguel's flowing and I'm as stiff as a board, dy off the car tomorrow with the family, then back on it Monday.

Hoppo1979
22-02-2014, 20:44
Its funny, I've done so much today but the proudest but was dropping the car off the axle stands and seeing I'd cured the camber problem. I could have cried!!

on a separate note, I've now got a brand new set of Eibach camber bolts for sale now.

16v_paddy
22-02-2014, 22:11
:shock: I'm impressed by how buggered that shock is :lol:

Coops
22-02-2014, 23:28
nice work James, shame i'm going to miss you dropping in tomorrow to grab the cable, will make an effort to pop over at some point and see the car now its done :)

Hoppo1979
24-02-2014, 19:57
Ok another update, today I have been attempting to polish the lip on my totally gold alloys. It's been a bit trial and error, but here's how it went.

I visited a mate to get the tyres popped off the rim to make things easier, then I used my rotary polisher and cut a small disc of 120 grit sandpaper, and went to work.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/f11c16cf7459bcee121f95cc469f7f0f_zps9233c0da.jpg

i then progressively sanded using wet and dry on a block by hand, starting at 240, then 320, 400, 600, then 2000 grit. I finally used good old autosol metal polish on a compounding sponge on my rotary to polish. Here's the end result.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/cd04b6bdfa87efc555c1d8b61f2fceff_zpsfb1f1cac.jpg

finally I fitted a new Sony CD player, as it had a shitty Panasonic unit that jumped at the sight of a pothole, off to the MOT centre.

passed without a single advisory.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/d21be9ab5b631fbd02a3453116bfec30_zps18a30197.jpg

back to work tomorrow to earn some money now, as the pot is empty! It's been emotional!

Vandella
24-02-2014, 20:09
good job mate! =D> we're all proud of you!

nice handy work on the rims too..

Chris197F1
24-02-2014, 20:52
what an amazing job on those rims!!!! Thats a good rim job :lol:

mack1
26-02-2014, 03:42
That is top work=D>it must of been a nice feeling to pass MOT.

Nothing like giving your Willy a good polishing:winkey::)

Coops
26-02-2014, 18:56
epic work chap, looking forward to seeing it!

have you any plans to protect the rims from tarnishing now you've polished them?

jamiecrookston83
26-02-2014, 19:53
Great work mate.

Hoppo1979
28-02-2014, 20:32
Cheers for all the positive comments guys. I'm off to motorhog in Donny to raid a 16v they're breaking, then over to Renault Sheffield to pick up new door seals and roof strip. As the willy is taxed from tomorrow I'm taking it on the journey to dust the cob webs off.

mack1
28-02-2014, 22:59
Nice one . You know you want to take the longest/scenic route:mrgreen::driving:

Hoppo1979
02-03-2014, 16:27
We'll I've sorted the noisy rear wheel bearings out and after a good run out in it yesterday it's feeling superb. Pulls like a train, handling really well now all the suspension is sorted. The exhaust is brand new from front to back with the exception of the cat, and it's started blowing from one of the joints so I need to try and sort that. It's now just a couple of minor jobs to complete and it's 90% where I want it to be.

I tried jacking it up on the old front jacking point and while on the surface it looked fine the car started going back down on its own so it needs the other jacking point doing. I'm ordering it from Renault and will get it done later in the year probably winter when I don't intend to use it.

Coops
03-03-2014, 13:46
good progress chap, and enjoy :) i'll try to pop up and see it if I can? and check out the bodywork :)

Hoppo1979
05-03-2014, 20:09
You're more than welcome Coops. Been and picked up some more kit from Renault. Clips for A pillar weather strips and roof gutter trims. They've gone back 90% ok but that's not perfect is it. :-)

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/295d29a3318ef3d915069d655b5ee3ad_zpsbaf55ac5.jpg

Hoppo1979
18-04-2014, 09:19
Went out for a play yesterday. MOS Anthems 90s on, foot to the floor. Great fun! These cars need cherishing and looking after.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/e2fdca53efb9ef643d6233bbecdb8d30_zps591947de.jpg

Dom9
11-08-2014, 12:18
Hoppo - Great thread and very inspirational!

Have you got a contact number/ email for Glynn - I think I am going to have a lot of rust and paint that need tackling!

Hoppo1979
15-08-2014, 13:33
PM.d Dom.

Dean250
02-09-2014, 23:07
Excellent thread mate, great job on the car, the finish looks excellent now.

Whats the 3M kit you bought? always fancied trying to do some machine polishing myself and have the perfect opportunity to practise on my williams 2 before it gets a full respray!

Hoppo1979
03-09-2014, 07:55
Its good stuff Dean! Not cheap though! Its a colour coded system so the green is the aggresive "Fast Cut Plus" then buy 3M green pad, yellow stuff is designed to finish and remove any light swirls that may be left. That's called "Extra Fine Compound. Buy the 3M yellow waffle pad for that. There's another stage that's black and a soft black waffle pad but I skipped that as I already have other final stage stuff. Basically the green foam pad is quite hard. The yellow pad is a lot softer and then the black pad is really soft. I really rate it. G3 farecla is the stuff most use but boy it's messy! Cheap though!

Dean250
03-09-2014, 11:08
Did you buy it all as a kit with the correct bits then mate? both of my Meganes have very light swirling and I have often fancied just having a little practise then attempting a machine finish but I know that there is dangers of burning and holograms etc.

The work you had done on the williams there at that price is excellent! really well restored car!

will3232
03-09-2014, 12:03
If you use a dual action machine polisher you are far less likely to burn the paint, this is because the pad oscillates as well as rotating. Therefore not generating heat in such a small area. I learnt to mop using a d/a and have mopped everything from a fiesta to a Ferrari with it :). It takes longer than a rotary but the risk of burning is reduced :).

Chris197F1
03-09-2014, 12:38
Cars looking great Hoppo, popped back on hoping you had put a couple of pictures up :)

Dean250
04-09-2014, 20:05
I did have a DA years ago but used it for sanding! I might look out for a kit, any recommendations?

will3232
04-09-2014, 20:09
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher-sonus-kit/prod_674.html
T

will3232
04-09-2014, 20:10
That's the kit I got when I was learning, the mop is still going strong 2 years and at least 50 cars later. I would advise using 3m polishes and pads when those run out though :).

Dean250
07-09-2014, 20:56
Thanks Will!

Robinson16v
07-09-2014, 22:17
Nice to see another Williams getting some love :) I'm restoring my valver atm. Are the jacking points still available to buy then? If so do you have a part number? Was going to fabricate some but would rather use as much gen Renault parts as poss to keep it somewhat original lol.
Good work mate, it's a credit to you. Makes me want a Williams even more...

will3232
07-09-2014, 22:38
No worries buddy, it's a very rewarding hobby :)

Hoppo1979
09-09-2014, 22:02
Nice to see another Williams getting some love :) I'm restoring my valver atm. Are the jacking points still available to buy then? If so do you have a part number? Was going to fabricate some but would rather use as much gen Renault parts as poss to keep it somewhat original lol.
Good work mate, it's a credit to you. Makes me want a Williams even more...

hi mate, they were available a few months back, I've another new one sat in the garage that will be fitted in winter, I'm also having both rear chassis legs stripped and redone as they seem to be prone to rotting. Give me a minute I'll have a look for part numbers....

Hoppo1979
09-09-2014, 22:03

cant remember which side is which though. If its critical I'll have a look at the one in my garage.

Robinson16v
09-09-2014, 22:13
hi mate, they were available a few months back, I've another new one sat in the garage that will be fitted in winter, I'm also having both rear chassis legs stripped and redone as they seem to be prone to rotting. Give me a minute I'll have a look for part numbers....
Thanks mate, would you mind posting a photo of them? A guy on a Clio group of Facebook has got me some part numbers too, where did you call to order them? If you don't mind me asking of course :-)
Thanks again mate

cant remember which side is which though. If its critical I'll have a look at the one in my garage.

Hoppo1979
09-09-2014, 22:14
7751621719 (tel:7751621719)

this is is a passenger side, and no it's not for sale haha. I need it sadly.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/d7550f3113a902d9beb814c3bbe533e4_zpsa3ef6723.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/841bd6f0c0751dbaee35d7d26c5dbaaf_zps6a163060.jpg

Robinson16v
10-09-2014, 23:26
this is is a passenger side, and no it's not for sale haha. I need it sadly.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/d7550f3113a902d9beb814c3bbe533e4_zpsa3ef6723.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc376/Hoppo1979/841bd6f0c0751dbaee35d7d26c5dbaaf_zps6a163060.jpg
Thanks mate! And haha, I need to ring around, see if I can get hold of some jacking points and chassis members as apparently you can still buy most parts but not shells. How did you go about ordering yours if you don't mind me asking :-)

Hoppo1979
12-09-2014, 12:19
Thanks mate! And haha, I need to ring around, see if I can get hold of some jacking points and chassis members as apparently you can still buy most parts but not shells. How did you go about ordering yours if you don't mind me asking :-)

Just ring your your local renault dealer mate, alternatively renaultpartsdirect.co.uk are very good.