PDA

View Full Version : Coolant gone :O

Christian
28-08-2005, 20:48
Someone please help a complete novice (me!)

I keep chucking more and more coolant in the expansion tank but it's always empty. I don't think its leaking from anywhere and so am guessing that something a lot worse is going to happen...

I've had someone from here tell me what is probably wrong but I'm hoping he's mistaken as I don't want it to be that bad! Is there anything I should check/do?

Ps - Does anyone want to buy it? Stunning valver, one or two careful owners, never had any problems... :wink:

Tommo
28-08-2005, 20:54
This happened to my 306 and in the end the gasket blew.... :(

Hope I'm wrong mate but it sounds like the gasket could be on the way out!

Christian
28-08-2005, 21:03
bugger! Thats what Matt said...

I guess this could get quite pricey?

Gav
28-08-2005, 21:37
best solution mate

Open your bonnet, rub you chin and get stuck in changin the gasket :D

Nah mate, open your bonnet and take the lid off your coolent canister, rub your finger round the inside of the lid top (bid actual lid screws onto) and look at your finger, if gooey shit is on your finger ITS DEFO YOUR GASKET! :cry:

Lunner
28-08-2005, 22:45
If its not noticabl;y leaking the head gasket.

Do you get white vapour out of the exhxuats when its fully warm?

Do you have a mayo liek substance around the top of the oil filler cap?

Do you have an oily film ont eh top of the coolant?

Could also be the water pump, as usually they only leak when the car is moving, well mine did, took ages to find the leak

Slithers
29-08-2005, 14:03
If its not noticabl;y leaking the head gasket.

Do you get white vapour out of the exhxuats when its fully warm?

Do you have a mayo liek substance around the top of the oil filler cap?

Do you have an oily film ont eh top of the coolant?

Could also be the water pump, as usually they only leak when the car is moving, well mine did, took ages to find the leak

I agree with lunner check the water pump first, and also see if your passenger footwell carpet is damp, could be a leaky heater matrix.

Also sling some kalimex stop leak in the expansion tank, it costs around £7 iirc you can find it on ebay usually.

clowo16v
29-08-2005, 15:10
Lob some radweld or similar in and see what happens. I had a leak on the thermostat union and it fixed that. Gives the coolant a nice green colour aswell lol.

See ya

Matt

summeh
29-08-2005, 22:07
dog turd rad weld ;)

Swervin_Mervin
30-08-2005, 13:08
Check all your pipes. I had 2 corroded ones and had them done recently. However I was having th same coolant loss troubles and one thing that did seem to stop it was getting a new header tank cap. It could be that the pressure release valve in the cap is fooked and it's blowing out the seal.

In the end I've had new cap, bottle, 1 new pipe and a new thermostat housing (housing was cracked)

Rajk
12-09-2005, 01:24
i had a problem like this on my willy2 when i brought it
few things to check

let the car warm up and see if the bottle itself is leaking just by the cap, you will see a circle on the bottle, just get some water and put it on the expansion tank when hot. if it bubbles on the outside you have found it

check the water pump area, best to look on the subframe cause thats where the water falls onto

check the hoses when hot, you may have a small hole that leaks when it expands, pray its not the hose that comes out of the block and goes into the rad, this is a total shitbag to change, especially if you have the reno one with the silly bobble hose clips.