PDA

View Full Version : Time to make the old girl look pretty again!

kneesparks
06-10-2013, 20:47
Hi all. After a series of parts replaced like-
*Head due to cam belt failure.
*Renault OEM cam belt and tensioners.
*Aux belt.
*Rear discs, bearings, pads.
*Front discs and pads.
*Steering Rack.
*Alternator.
*Battery.

I now need to find somewhere that will take on and fix my rusty rear arches and rust around the wind screen. The windscreen has bubbled quite badly now. The drivers door will be replaces as the bottom has fell out of it! Iv also found one 10p sized rust spot on the seals both sides.
I took it to my pal and he is not interested in it because he can't guarantee the rust won't come back. Bit gutted really as I was relying on him doing the work. If I'd have known he wouldn't do it I'd have scrapped the car and saved a shit load of cash.
Anybody know a good body shop that's awesome with rusty old Renault's not too far from kings Lynn Norfolk????

HELP.
:(

Dean250
07-10-2013, 08:38
If your mate is a pro just ask him to do the work correctly cutting it out welding in new plates/panels!

if its done right then it will last, obviously these cars are old and there is still the chance of rust developing regardless. Do you use the car daily does it live outside when not in use?

katbloke
07-10-2013, 15:14
Also research what to put on and around repaired areas to protect it in the future, zinc primers cavity waxes paint in behind panels before patches go on, bilt hamber do some great stuff for this kind of thing

Bob Jones
07-10-2013, 20:28
There are two ways to get rust fixed on an old car.

1. Take it to a proper car restorer (not a body shop) who understands old cars and deals with them every day.
2. Do it yourself.

If you take it to the type of body shop that does insurance work on new cars the rust will come back because they will just patch it up.

There is absolutley no reason for rust to come back on a repaired panel if it is mended correctly and treated correctly.

Painting (spraying) is very easy and most people can do it. In fact you have to be pretty stupid not to be able to spray well using modern equipment. The art and craft is in the bit underneath the spray paint. Not many people understand rust or what causes it and even fewer understand rust on a williams.

If you repair a williams from the outside surface, the rust will come back from the inner surfaces where it starts. You need to remove the rust from the parts under the car in order to stop the rust on the outside visible surfaces. The rust on the arches for example starts on the inner arch lining and creeps onto the outer part of the car or on the jacking point and up the bottom of the arch. On the sill the rust usually starts from the jacking points where idiots have jackred the car with a metal jack and no wood or rubber protection.

Watch those tyre goons like hawkes and if they do it, **** them up hard.

kneesparks
08-10-2013, 02:02
It's my daily. It's looking like I'll try it myself on the arches. It's around the windscreen that bothers me. If it's that bad it's a scraper :(

crazyasswhiteboy
08-10-2013, 10:22
Few point as i work in a body shop and restore old cars ,and just done my williams,
1 make sore you cut all the rust out or it will just come back
2. get somone you can weld and put new arch/ patches in
3. when doing the fill work make sore the panels are dry before you add filler same with the primer
4. use good primer not the stuff you get fron halfords and leave the primer on their for a week so it can settle and sink
5 . once paint paint the inside of the panal with primer and 2k paint easy on the williams and cover with caverty wax
thats how i did mine anyway hope it helps