PDA

View Full Version : Lowest mileage Williams?

Willbee
05-10-2013, 09:17
I was racing at Donington in the Radical a couple of weeks ago and stayed at a friends house the night before. We went out for a meal near his house and travelled in his Maserati Gran Turismo, which was a bit nice. Strange car in a way as it is a proper tourer, totally relaxed but with an energetic Ferrari sound track. Don't get me wrong, it's very very nice but strangely I found myself thinking it would beach better suited with a big lazy amg style V8!

anyway, we starting talking about cars and the Williams and he told me about a guy in the village that bought a Williams from new, did 300 miles in it and then had it shrink wrapped. It's still wrapped up to this day on 300 miles! Obviously it would be better for having at least the odd shirt drive but it was very interesting nonetheless!

Bob Jones
05-10-2013, 09:44
Seems a lot of effort for what it is. Is he going top be buried with it when he dies too? Sounds like he has a hording disorder to me.

p4cks
05-10-2013, 11:09
Yep. Absolutely no point in owning a museum piece other than bragging rights down the pub. Scores no points with me though, sorry.

Willbee
05-10-2013, 12:00
Indeed rather pointless as it would likely need a lot of 'un-seizing' of all the mechanical parts to make it run. And it was never going to be valuable enough as a pure prospective investment for the future; it is only a CW after all.

There's much more fun to be had driving it of course. Thought it was interesting to know of a v low mileage CW. If Renault ran production of a brand new one of the original mk1 Clio (Williams) I'd put my order in. If the guy had pickled it in oil rather than shrink-wrapping it, it would be more or less totally preserved, although the seats would be a bit soggy.

Wobba
05-10-2013, 16:42
People bought the Willy 1 as future collector cars. It's why when they launched the 2 & 3 there was an uproar.

Bob Jones
05-10-2013, 19:57
Collectors cars are cars with historical significance (such as being owned by presidents or actors) or ones where there are 4 left in the world.

There are THOUSANDS of clio williams on the continent. They wont ever be a collectors car. Just a good fun car that is rare.

talkingfish
10-10-2013, 12:25
That's the type of find a few of us are waiting for on here.... we all know they exist, its just a matter of being in the right place at the right time! :)

northy
10-10-2013, 12:28
and having the money

talkingfish
10-10-2013, 12:31
amen to that too!! :lol:

northy
10-10-2013, 13:33
and being at the front of the que

Daz.
11-10-2013, 15:57
I'd get another one if it was perfection.