PDA

View Full Version : Your Advice and Views

bl1ng
16-09-2013, 22:07
Hi all,

I am new here, looking to pick up a Williams as per my post in the Newbie section (here: http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?43422-London-Calling).

I have seen a Williams 3 but I am just not sure about it. The body was in great condition but the engine bay seemed rusty. There were bits of rust on parts of the engine and around the bay. The worst seemed to be the front chassis cross member. If that needed replacing, how much work would it be ?

Also, the car has not been used for at least 18 months, if not more and there is hardly any history with the car to back up the mileage other than 3 MOTs ie no service book.

It's not particularly cheap either at over £2.5k.

What do people think, is a rust free body enough to overlook no history, potential re-commissioning work and dealing the rust in the engine bay ?

All advice and views appreciated.

p4cks
17-09-2013, 08:00
Although the subframe can be refurbished/shot blasted, the rust would concern me and given the £2.5k price, I'd avoid.

Plus the W3 will piss water through the sunroof. That's a given and an absolute bastard to fix (trust me).

bl1ng
17-09-2013, 08:26
Although the subframe can be refurbished/shot blasted, the rust would concern me and given the £2.5k price, I'd avoid.

Plus the W3 will piss water through the sunroof. That's a given and an absolute bastard to fix (trust me).

The rust on the front cross member does worry me a little as does the lack of history, I guess I will keep looking.
If it was cheaper then I think it would be worth overlooking those points.

As regards the sunroof, it has been wet recently and I checked the seats and carpets as well as the headlining and they all seemed dry

Dean250
17-09-2013, 12:34
Keep looking fella, I viewed loads in the end I bought one that needed restoring but had every single bit of history and 1 owner.

I couldn't find one that I was happy with, I was looking at spending upto 4k

bl1ng
17-09-2013, 13:10
Thanks Dean, I think that is wise advice