PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Reading, Berks

bigmattreid
09-09-2013, 10:16
Hi

Great forum - credit to the Marque and passion in these cars!

I need an occassional run around, which can be garaged the 5 days a week it is not being used. Rules (aligned with SWMBO):

- Have four seats (rears for kids 7 and 9 - with room to grow)
- Something a little different
- Quick, but not too standoutish
- Not stupid on fuel consumption
- I can fetter with myself in the garage (I once worked for a race team - but work in an office now :upset2:)

I got down to a 944, Clio, or Saab 900 T16 Cab.

Having looked around, I can see that the Clio would be great. I note the excellent Buyers guides here and see scary stories on the rust.

But I have to say I have always admired the Clio's - mainly when I have an Mk2 Golf Gti 8v, which of the many cars I owned was the most engaging. From what I can sense, the Clio should take this mantle fromt he Golf?

I look forward to engaging on the forum - for now I am going through the classifieds and reading the buyers guides. Hope to pick up:

- Not worried about 1,2 or 3, but feel naturally drawn to a "1"
- Get one with arches "done" or OK, sills, and minimise welding as I can't do this easily/without high expense
- Happy with Mechanical or Paintwork tidying and resolvable issues as I can resolve these easily
- Genuine, straight car - only updates acceptable IMHO are exhaust and stereo - so nothing lowered, etc
- MOT'd and likely to make next one

Appreciate these can make upwards of £6k, but happy to take a car with good rust remediation done for something starting with a £2,xxx!

Will see how I get on, many thanks for the excellent forum advice and support in advance.

Matt

andreas395
09-09-2013, 12:49
Welcome :)

bigmattreid
09-09-2013, 21:55
Welcome :)

Thanks!

stevie_b
09-09-2013, 23:39
Welcome. You are on the right track I think. I bought a 1 for about the budget you are thinking of with a similar mentality - get one that is structurally sound and I can sort any mechanicals. So far I have had to replace quite a few bits on it but since I had most of what I needed sitting in boxes since stripping my track car I have only needed to buy in a fraction of the stuff I otherwise would have needed to. It has certainly been far easier to sort that kind of stuff myself than having to cut and replace arches and get the car resprayed, etc.

bigmattreid
10-09-2013, 20:21
Welcome. You are on the right track I think. I bought a 1 for about the budget you are thinking of with a similar mentality - get one that is structurally sound and I can sort any mechanicals. So far I have had to replace quite a few bits on it but since I had most of what I needed sitting in boxes since stripping my track car I have only needed to buy in a fraction of the stuff I otherwise would have needed to. It has certainly been far easier to sort that kind of stuff myself than having to cut and replace arches and get the car resprayed, etc.Thanks again. Useful perspective!