PDA

View Full Version : Steering column removal, is it easy to do?

willy3ams
04-09-2013, 10:53
Not used my Williams for many years now but noticed the play on the steering column to be quite bad now.
(a new column from Renault. £275 vs Welding the column)

Is this a simple job to remove the column?
Thinking of posting a 'How to' in Guides with pictures.
Cheers
J

MattDilley
04-09-2013, 12:15
It's not a hard job, just fiddly as there isn't a lot of room.
once everything is removed there is only 5 bolts holdin it in.

northy
04-09-2013, 13:53
I would rather pay the £275 than have a welded column suddenly snap whilst driving!!!!

willy3ams
04-09-2013, 15:34
I would rather pay the £275 than have a welded column suddenly snap whilst driving!!!!

I agree, Renault made it with a busher deliberately so in an accident the column collapses (i've been told)
I will just buy a new one.

willy3ams
04-09-2013, 15:36
It's not a hard job, just fiddly as there isn't a lot of room.
once everything is removed there is only 5 bolts holdin it in.
So is it just a simple case of removing the indicator stalks, undoing the steering wheel cover and bolt and removing the linkage that connects the steering rack?

northy
04-09-2013, 15:48
I agree, Renault made it with a busher deliberately so in an accident the column collapses (i've been told)
I will just buy a new one.

Yes thats right.

MatBrown
08-09-2013, 23:39
Yes thats right.

No it's not, the bush is to reduce vibration and feedback felt in the steering wheel.
The splined part of the shaft is the part that collapses.
The rest of the car is welded so why would this one snap? As long as its been done properly.

northy
09-09-2013, 12:43
thats my point - being welded properly.

After the heat of the welding the bush will have melted and if the weld breaks the play is going to go from non to extreme

I was agreeing the rack was designed to collapse's in the event of a accident - didnt twig that he ment on the bush. it collapses further up

willy3ams
09-09-2013, 23:29
To be fair guys, I don't know what i'm talking about when it comes to steering columns. Its only what i've been told. But thanks for the intel.

I did have the steering column welded on the RT, i noticed it much noisier but felt great.
This time however I think i'll buy genuine as i can do a straight swap with the existing one without the need to weld.