PDA

View Full Version : Connecting outside air temperature sensor into inlet

clowo16v
27-08-2005, 17:33
I've had a sudden idea. Would it be possible to take the sender and wiring for the outside air temp from under the wing mirror, and put it in my airbox. It would then read the air inlet temp using the original LCD screen on the dash, and it would allow me to check the best places for cold air feeds, and if heat insulation is working etc.

See ya

Matt

Justin..
27-08-2005, 17:50
cant see why not. u may have just started something there mate :o

Slithers
27-08-2005, 17:51
I've had a sudden idea. Would it be possible to take the sender and wiring for the outside air temp from under the wing mirror, and put it in my airbox. It would then read the air inlet temp using the original LCD screen on the dash, and it would allow me to check the best places for cold air feeds, and if heat insulation is working etc.

See ya

Matt

Theories sound, but from my experience ive not come across a valver/williams which reads the temperature acuratly.......ever.

Mine testifed that the outside temp did not read over 5 degrees C this summer, and on the way to work this morning it was -11 alledgedly.

Dancliovalver
27-08-2005, 17:52
lol thats sounds good mate, let us know how it goes, i dont c why it wouldnt work!!

Andyvalver
27-08-2005, 17:52
Mine seems to work ok :P

Justin..
27-08-2005, 17:53

See ya

Matt

Theories sound, but from my experience ive not come across a valver/williams which reads the temperature acuratly.......ever.

Mine testifed that the outside temp did not read over 5 degrees C this summer, and on the way to work this morning it was -11 alledgedly.

surely you can have it calibrated though?

Slithers
27-08-2005, 17:54
Mine seems to work ok :P

Get a proper thermometer and see how out it is, my money is that you will be surprised.

And bear in mind a couple of degrees difference either way is quite a lot.

Andyvalver
27-08-2005, 18:04
Its usually ok. a guy i work with has a lexus is200 and we have compared temps on a hot day and they were the same. Also its usually what it says on the radio giv or take a degree depending on where i am. My mates old valver used to read all sorts of temps though :?

Scott-16v!
27-08-2005, 18:11
its 50c everyday round here :lol:

Justin..
27-08-2005, 18:12
:shock: :?

Slithers
27-08-2005, 18:30

See ya

Matt

surely you can have it calibrated though?

tbh mate, it doesn't fuss me what the outside temperture is.

you can break the ambient temperature down into 3 categories

freezing

boiling

just right

that all you need to know really

BigBoreBri
27-08-2005, 22:40
Its not uncommon on G60s with MFA's so i dont see why its not possible on the clio... however i must beg the question - WHY?

Its a NA engine, its not like your running a whack of turbo so ambient temps aren't really an issue!

stan
27-08-2005, 22:43
charge temp is important on any engine

look on google for an appropriate thermo-couple and display....as said the ren one isnt the most accurate

Scott-16v!
28-08-2005, 09:43
:shock: :?
it goes up to 50 degrees on the display and then stops on it

clowo16v
28-08-2005, 11:11
Mines always been perfectly accurate up to 33 deg. Checked it with a thermometer at college lol.

Stan I could buy one, but I was thinking of using the Renault one as then I could keep the standard dash. I'll have a look for some on Google though see whats out there.

The reason i'm using it is when i'm racing, the more variables you take into account the more consistent you can get the times, as you can predict what will happen easier.

See ya

Matt