PDA

View Full Version : help

Jamie.
27-08-2005, 13:45
got my coolant changed today...... and when i went back to collect my car from the garage they said there was an electrical fault.... :? they said that the fan wasnt kicking in at all when the engine was turned on, however when they turned the engine off the fan kicked in :? . they said it was probably an electrical fault as it was okay when the engine was off and not on..... tbh i had never noticed as the water temp never got that hot with me, although they said they have to run it till it kicks in to make sure there is no air in it, i asked when they turned it off as i dont want them overheating it and they said they turned it off pretty sharpish when it didnt come on.... has anyone ever had this problem before! as far as i can see this is either a electical problem or a fan switch problem.... ideas welcomed.

Andyvalver
27-08-2005, 15:22
Did they actually let it get high enough to come on? Id try it myself if i were you just to check.

Tom_16v
27-08-2005, 15:29
Good point!

The water temp will actually raise slightly when you switch it off as the water pump stops.

Might be worth checking yourself mate next time your out in it....

Purple
27-08-2005, 15:36
Check the connector for the thermo switch or replace the switch.

katbloke
27-08-2005, 15:42
JW3 same happened to me, car boiled over, switched engine off then the fan kicked in, i fitted bbpt low temp fan switch and cleaned the connector plug now all appears fine apart from when i get home and switch off fan runs on for a while, but since fitting this switch the temp gauge hasnt gone up past the first big line.

Jamie.
27-08-2005, 15:58
cheers katbloke. im gona get a low temp fan switch anyway, only a few quid...... gona also test me car me self, let it run to 2nd bar for me self to see how it does (if fan kicks in). then ill fit low temp fan switch, see of it works then, if not ill either wire in a perm live & get wires checked...... not urgent as since ive had it the water temp has only got 2 2nd bar a couple of times as where i live there is no major traffic so it just aint sitting there getting hot & since i only go out in it a couple of times a week ill just wait till i get new fan switch. as even when im driving it/booting it water temp stays at first bar......