PDA

View Full Version : poxy French piece of shit

Vandella
12-08-2013, 18:28
Damn these ****ing cars.. Had a new clutch cable put in a couple weeks back as it snapped one.. Now this hasn't snapped but has gone floppy.. Dunno if it's the pedal or what.. But Tbh I don't care.. I'm fed up with constantly fixing things only for something to break or needs attention.. Am I the only one who has a constant stream of stupid shitty problems? In frustration I've snapped my accelerator cable.. So right now I await Mr RAC.. For the second time in as many months... Please tell me others have problems like this constantly otherwise it's goin in the bin... 6/7k worth of work and parts have gone into this and this is how it repays me... What a cunt!! I'm very quickly losing my patience with this car.. And the bad times are certainly outwieghing the good by a long ****ing way! As much fun as the few days when it's all working.. I can't b bothered to do anymore... Anyone wanna buy off me before I smash it to bits??

16v_paddy
12-08-2013, 19:10
It's normal & to an extent it's wear & tear so is to be expected, you say 6-7k of work & parts but it's the minor details, the parts that you've overlooked that come back to haunt you. Sounds like the pedal at fault, the ratchet mechanism is part of the pedal and it is a part that wears out over time

Anyway, how much do you want for it? :winkey:

Vandella
12-08-2013, 20:16
its had a new pedal in there within the last 6 months..new clutch cable less than a month ago.. the clutch cable today.. although it didnt snap.. it pulled through the plastic stopper on the g box end.. so faulty cable that is going back to renault tomorrow.. clutch is less than two years old.. or less than 20k miles on it.. the pivot bush was replaced at the same time.. im rapidly losing patience.. i shall be going back to renault with said cable and expecting an exchange.. for free.. do u think its reasonable to to try and get them to fit for free as compensation... as again ill have to pay someone to do this.. i know its not the hardest of jobs and i could do it myself.. but that's not the point here.. is this reasonable for me to ask this of them? whether they will or not remains to be seen..

Please excuse my language from earlier too.. not many things wind me up...

Turlough
13-08-2013, 18:59
Not sure what kind of warranty your cable will have but I very much doubt you will get it fitted for free I have worked at two main dealers now Subaru and landrover and neither would fit a part for free if you bought it two years ago I would think maybe if it lasted a month but not that long sorry man to be bearer of bad news

Vandella
14-08-2013, 13:40
well.. I have spoken to Renault and now have a free (exchanged) clutch cable and free accelerator cable as I had ordered this too.. I put to them that there faulty part has cost me fuel and garage bills.. I said I would bill them for this as its really out of my hands and down to a faulty part.. as the accelerator cable is less than the bill.. I proposed to have the accelerator cable instead of billing them.. guess what, they were more than happy to do this!! after some paperwork etc.. they fumbled with this to start with as they thought I had fit the cable myself and obviously tried to get out of it.. then I showed them the bill for fitting it..(garage has to be vat registered for them to ok this btw), and the rac breakdown paperwork with the milage.. the last one had done just under 600 miles.. hardly a reasonable amount of time under the sale of goods act.. lol.. couldn't get out of this one!!

funny thing is.. the design of the clutch cable.. I had one which lasted a year or so.. the cable snapped a few inches from the pedal.. then the one they provided me with on the 7th July, was manufactured differently.. the bit that broke looked of poor design. and I expected to receive the same looking cable.. the new I have received is exactly the same as the old old one that snapped.. maybe I was given one for a poverty spec clio.. or it was manufactured somewhere else..

anywho.. happy car, happy me again for a while!!

Vandella
15-08-2013, 13:55
hey chaps.. wee update on this and a question to add..

had the clutch cable put in yesterday.. before I had no issue's selecting gears.. now im finding it hard to get any gear.. could someone tell me how far the clutch fork should travel.. is it 20mm or close to this? I remember seeing it somewhere but can find it in a search.. also there is a part on the subframe (by the steering column) the cable should go through or is it just routed via the clips??

thanks in advance

Vandella
15-08-2013, 14:09
It's normal & to an extent it's wear & tear so is to be expected, you say 6-7k of work & parts but it's the minor details, the parts that you've overlooked that come back to haunt you. Sounds like the pedal at fault, the ratchet mechanism is part of the pedal and it is a part that wears out over time

Anyway, how much do you want for it? :winkey:

btw im thinking somewhere between 2.5 and 3k.. depending if I can get this issue resolved or not..

Vandella
15-08-2013, 16:07
not too worry guys.. found it here.... http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?42394-Clutch-fork-pivot-bush&highlight=Clutch+fork

Although.. whats the process to changing the fork if I need too.. should I need to? could it be a possibility that its bent slightly the wrong way as im having to go to the floor to find gears..
is it a subframe off,drop the lot and change it or is this possible to do in situ, with the gbox being split from the block?:-k

16v_paddy
16-08-2013, 08:08
The fork is supposed to move 17 - 21mm, 17 being the bare minimum to disengage the clutch properly and 21 when a new clutch pedal is fitted, unfortunately the clutch fork & pivot bush can only be changed with the gearbox off.
As for doing that there's many schools of thought as to the easiest/best way to do it my personal preference is to remove the whole lot, engine & box in 1 go, others say drop the subframe on 1 side & lift the box out the top, remove subframe completely & do it from underneath

Vandella
16-08-2013, 11:34
cheers paddy, mine moves about 19/20 mm, so I presume this ok.. but I did find when checking the cable as it felt like something was catching that the rubber sleeving that goes over the cable was catching.. I have moved this and now get the gears I want!! lol.. still feels like it needs some fettling but I know that the cable, pedal and fork are ok.. phew.. I think im losing distinction between gears because of my sloppy gearstick and the housing in the cab.. need yanoo's fix or a new gearstick I feel.. and the bush/holder on the linkage in the rubber boot by the selector.. would a second hand or new gearstick fix the in-cab sloppiness? does the rubber around the ball of the gearstick deteriorate?