PDA

View Full Version : Losing the will to live-sloppy knob!

Hoppo1979
08-08-2013, 20:05
Right, been to drive the Williams after Stevie wonder and David Blunkett have changed the gearbox. It selects gears fine but there's a metallic clanking from the gear knob and in first you can wobble the gear knob left to right like its in neutral! If you put it in 1st and let go it falls to the right like its in 5th!

its a long story why I chose this garage, they owed a friend a favour so the jobs cheap. I'm guessing they haven't put the linkages back on right but I'd just like to know what I'm dealing with before I go into battle tomorrow!

172lover
08-08-2013, 22:27
A few times I put the bracket that goes from the dog mount to the gearbox on the wrong way(a metal pipe about 1 foot long)

I put the bolt/nut in the wrong way,

anyway.... I coun't get reverse gear...

Maybe they did something similar?

Get it up on a ramp and get somone to move the gears while your under it ;)

Vandella
08-08-2013, 23:36
i had a simular problem.. turned out.. there is/should be a spring attached from the underside of the body.. to the gearstick/linkage.. ill get a dialogys pic up for u in a lil bit when m home.

Vandella
09-08-2013, 18:36
nUMBER 14 ON THIS PIC

Hoppo1979
09-08-2013, 19:30
Cheers Vandella, glad you've sobered up! The Kronenberg if flowing in Chesterfield! Well I've picked it up and it seems spot on now, I've got a car day tomorrow, Gavlars bits turned up today, plus I have front indicators, rocker cover gasket, another set of new tyres going on (long story)

gonna have a right good tinker, plus give it a good clean. Cheers for all the support guys, if I have time I'll start a bit of a job thread with pics once I know what I'm dealing with.