PDA

View Full Version : GEARBOX HELP!

Hoppo1979
24-07-2013, 19:29
Right guys, my backsides twitching for a big bill but advice would be appreciated. My clutch cable snapped Monday night, I managed to limp the car back to work but I had to rev match the gears a couple of times and a couple of crunches inevitably happened.

Got the car back tonight, clutch feels a lot lighter, lovely, BUT the cars jumping out of third under acceleration, hard or moderate. If I hold the gear knob lightly in position its fine, take my hand away, within 3 seconds its jumped out, clutch in and back into third and it crunches back into gear.

it didn't do this before the clutch cable, have I f@cked it by grinding a couple of changes or is there some form of linkage or other adjustment required? To be clear its only 3rd this is happening with.

HELP!

Turlough
24-07-2013, 21:17
Sounds like a synchro has gone in the box to me possibly that you did do it with grinding it in u definitely got Anough oil in box unlikely that doing a clutch would do it

Hoppo1979
25-07-2013, 08:42
Sounds like a synchro has gone in the box to me possibly that you did do it with grinding it in u definitely got Anough oil in box unlikely that doing a clutch would do it

Hmmm my thoughts, although I have gone through the 1 mile loop I did to get back to work, the cable snapped shifting 2nd to 3rd and didnt crunch, there was one time I went for 3rd and got the pepper grinder, other than that it was all 1st and 2nd as I drove the final leg back in 2nd, so unless these gearboxes are extremely delicate internally I am quite surprised.

I did give the gear lever a bit of sh1t at one point, a combo of my temper and trying for a gear, no grinding. Could I have bent something? I moved it this morning,there are no whirring of grinding noises at all. Just 3rd gear is a little more "sloppy" when you're in it and move the level left to right. I'm stumped.

Theres a used Willy 3 box on Fleabay for £350 buy it now or make him an offer. Just holding off taking the plunge at the moment.

172lover
25-07-2013, 12:50
£350 is a rape!

See if you can find any cheap 172 boxes?
They fit straight onto the engine!
You need the mk2 gearbox mount also!

Or a meggy f7r gearbox also has nice ratios for the Williams :)

172lover
25-07-2013, 12:55
I've a willy box here and it jumps out 1st only when you give it stick!!
Works fine when you go easy in 1st though !

Would the Synchro be gone?

Hoppo1979
25-07-2013, 19:32
£350 is a rape!

See if you can find any cheap 172 boxes?
They fit straight onto the engine!
You need the mk2 gearbox mount also!

Or a meggy f7r gearbox also has nice ratios for the Williams :)

Been raped then, bought it! Low mileage original and rare, I don't mind paying for a quality item matey, thanks for the idea about 172 boxes but this car will be OEM, standard and hopefully one of the best in the UK within about 12 months.

Just got to find some Fooker to fit it now! Lol.

172lover
25-07-2013, 22:54
How many miles ?? :)
Link to ebay please :)

Hoppo1979
26-07-2013, 08:47
Box has done 78k. The item number was 141016350787 mate.