PDA

View Full Version : Orange coolant issue

BazEdgar
02-07-2013, 17:52
I've got a slight issue with my car turning fresh coolant orange. I changed the coolant about 4 months ago when I had to replace a piece of the thermostat housing (which was pretty manky inside) and the coolant is orange again. Just curious as to what is causing it. I'm guessing its rust from somehwere but I'm not sure where. Radiator? Thermostat housing? Engine? Any help is appreciated!

16v_paddy
02-07-2013, 20:38
Inside the engine is where it's coming from, what you need to do is flush the system properly by doing the old shoving a hosepipe in every hole followed by filling it up with the cheapest nastiest antifreeze you can find, taking the car for a good blast, drain it all out, repeat the process at least 1 more time then once more with water.

That should pretty much get rid of all the orange crap & you can fill it with lovely type d, worked a treat on the last valver I did it to as it had the exact same problem, but I did that lot about 15 months ago & the coolant is still green

BazEdgar
02-07-2013, 23:16
Great! I've got something to do this weekend now. Cheers paddy

cliokiz
03-07-2013, 10:23
Might want to pop a dishwasher tablet in there (crush it up first), that should help as well

jamiecrookston83
03-07-2013, 11:44
I flushed mine for a good while making sure all crap came out until the it was running clear out the otherside

Wobba
03-07-2013, 12:00
You can also replace all the pipes, get the block and head chemically cleaned, replace water pump, radiator and heater matrix too and get a new expansion bottle :)

16v_paddy
03-07-2013, 19:10
I flushed mine for a good while making sure all crap came out until the it was running clear out the otherside

I did just that but it doesn't do anywhere near enough unless the whole system is pretty clean anyway. Apparently it's the chemicals in the coolant at normal operating temperatures that loosens the crap

mopa
03-07-2013, 21:07
You can also replace all the pipes, get the block and head chemically cleaned, replace water pump, radiator and heater matrix too and get a new expansion bottle :)

did you do all this? its my plan .. is youre coolant still fresh and how long after? i removed 53 dried grams of rust and sand from a f7r 98 block recently, and wondering if it will happen again (re-rust)after the overhaul!?

Chris H
05-07-2013, 17:57
Best way undo the drain plug on the block at the back. Not all blocks have it. 11mm tapered thread. Flush the engine through and blobby crap will come out. Poke into the hole with a pick or something as well and more will come out. Other option if you want to go a bit further is pop the rear core plugs out and clean it out that way.