PDA

View Full Version : Sump baffles

dimma
28-06-2013, 18:36
Are they needed inside the sump ? My sump also is up against the oil pump pickup pipe.its a genuine Renault pump

MatBrown
28-06-2013, 20:23
There are about three different sumps/baffles.

Turlough
28-06-2013, 21:35
Sump baffles stop your oil from flowing all the way to the side of your sump pan when cornering hard as if you imaging all the oil going o the oil all flowing to the Side then the pickup pipe has nothing to pickup but air and air isn't known for its lubricating properties

dimma
28-06-2013, 22:10
What's with the sump touching the end of the pickup pipe? I built one of these engine 10 years ago and I remember the same issue with the pickup pipe.i removed the metal end the last time but I know that I shouldn't have to do that.

volymmannen
01-07-2013, 09:16
What's with the sump touching the end of the pickup pipe? I built one of these engine 10 years ago and I remember the same issue with the pickup pipe.i removed the metal end the last time but I know that I shouldn't have to do that.
Never seen that should be impossible if oem parts is used.

volymmannen
01-07-2013, 09:21
There is different plastic baffles that prevents the crank from hitting the oil, but i have never seen any baffles/trapdoors mounted in the sump preventing the oil from moving side to side, megane f7r has the biggest plastic baffle i have seen in a F7 block the crank i completely covered, the smallest is in a F7P it has a small part on the oil pump and one at the end of the sump

Wobba
01-07-2013, 11:15
I think I have seen some methods used to modify sumps and stop oil surge, involving flaps inside.

dimma
01-07-2013, 22:58
I've notice that the Williams sumps are deeper than the 1.8 16v but as far as I know the oil pumps of both engines are the same.ive used a 16v sump with Williams oil pump baffles and I've cut a half inch of the 1.8 baffle which is screwed to the sump so the the sump fits correctly.ive also cut a larger hole in the pick up and flatten it abit to give more clearance from the bottom of the sump.am I mad doing this?